🚒20🚒

Blake

Apollo and Tuesday were playing around in the common room, when the sound of the doors opening caught our attention. Lifting my head, I smile brightly as my detective walked through the doors, decked in his bulletproof vest.

Glancing towards the dog, he lifted his head instantly looking towards Jay. With a large smile on Jay's face, he bent down just in time for Apollo to sprint towards him. With small happy barks being let out and tail wagging, his paws were placed on Jay's shoulders.

Grinning madly at the cute reunion, he stood up making his way towards me. With a kiss being planted on my lips. "Is it cool if I take Apollo".

Flicking my eyes towards the dog then back to my boyfriend, I nodded softly. Grabbing the leash off the coffee table, I connected it to Apollo's collar. "His vest is in your trunk right".

Placing another kiss on my lips, he gave me a nod. Walking out of the firehouse with Jay and Apollo trotting beside us, I opened the truck door helping the dog inside. Snaking his arms around my waist, he pulled me closer to him.

"I need both of you to come back to me in one piece"

Cupping my face gently, Jay leaned forward kissing me passionately. "We will sweetheart". Giving him a parting gift, I stepped away from the man watching my two boys pull away from the firehouse.

"Wasn't that a cute and sad moment". Chuckling nag softly, I jumped on Stella's back. Carrying me back into the common room.

A small bickering argument occurred between the crew, all about which chip is better. Now I wasn't necessarily picky, I was ok with the two choices. As for the others well they weren't the same. "We all know Nacho Doritos are the best Doritos"

"Your wrong Foster, it's cool ranch". Burying my head into the magazine, I tried to stay out of the conversation. Someone spoke my name, but as I lowered the magazine with an annoyed look, the argument was quickly brought to someone else.

Before a small wrestling match could happen, it was pushed to the side as the alarms went off. Letting out a large sigh of relief at the postponement of nonsense, Matt started laughing at the reaction. Patting my shoulder in an agreeing matter, we all hauled onto the apparatus floor.

Tugging on the gear and leaping into the truck, we ventured out of the garage with the lights and sirens blaring. Moving quickly down the streets and towards the call. Talking to Kelly about date ideas for him and Stella, I could see he was really processing the whole thing. It was nice to see him happy and wanting to settle.

Rolling up to a 2 story house engulfed in raging hot flames, we all wished that there was no one inside. With fire shooting through the windows and black smoke filling the air, I knew we didn't have much time until it flashed over.

Slipping on the gear I tapped Kelly's shoulder. The consistent calls and looking for survivors soon came to end by Boden's orders. With the two of us leaving the bedroom, neither of us heard the snap of the beam above us.

Catching a glimpse at the last second, I tried to get Kelly but the beam landed on top of him his cries of pain entering the air. "Chief we got a firefighter down, I need hands to get a beam off of him".

Moving to his side, I grabbed onto his hand before looking towards the beam. My brothers cries of pain imprinting in my mind. "I'm right here Kelly, I'm not leaving you".

Protecting his body from the falling debris, I eventually heard Matt and few squad people come in. Immediately diving straight towards the beam, we all communicated with our eyes. Grabbing hold of his arms I sent a nod to Casey. The second the beam was lifted I slid him out.

Helping me carry him out 51 crowded around to support their fellow firefighter. Placing him on the gurney, I slid off his tank and mask. Gripping my hand I could tell he was scared. "Your going to be ok, I got Squad covered".

With an approving nod we wheeled him into the ambo. Sending a look to Stella, she climbed inside to be with him. "I will keep you updated". Squeezing her hand, I shut the door tapping the back to get them going.

With a shaky breath I turned towards Boden. "Is it alright with you if I run squad until Kelly gets back". Not really giving it a second thought he laid a hand on my shoulder:

"I was going to ask you anyway". Clearing up the gear as fast and efficiently as possible, I climbed into the passenger seat of the Squad truck where a weird feeling started to grow. The few times that I have taken over for Kelly it was always weird to sit in his usual spot. He was the Lieutenant, the one who sees everything and now with him being in the hospital I have to take over.

With the trucks pulling away from the house and towards the hospital, I tapped my leg nervously. Injuries are bound to happen but I always hate it when it happens to Kelly. He is in the hospital the most and we are here constantly. At this rate Chicago Med should have a waiting area just for Firehouse 51.

As we all filed into the building I immediately went towards Stella. Without even looking, the girl instantly wrapped her arms around me, a hint of fear in her eyes. "Severide's are stubborn people. He will be fine Stella". With a nod being placed against my shoulder, I never released my arms around her.

Few minutes have passed before I saw Will wall towards us. All standing up, I gave him a nod. "Kelly has some 2nd degree burns on his back and legs, a fracture on his femur and patella". Already knowing the severity I let out a small sigh. He will not be happy about that, my older brother is stubborn and loves his job. Finding out he will he out for 2 months will cause him to go stir crazy.

Biting my lip, I glanced at the girl in my arms. "I'm going to talk to Kelly really quick then he is all yours". Nodding in understanding I followed Will to where my brother was.

With a peaceful conversation with Will, we found ourselves outside of Kelly's room, the man looking helpless in the bed. Squeezing my shoulder for luck I entered the room. "Hey Big Brother". Grabbing his hand his piercing blue eyes stared into mine, tears forming.

"How bad Blake". Shooting him a sad smile I kissed his cheek.

"They will give you a definitive answer but your going to be out for a little while Kelly". Knowing the man was having a breakdown in his mind, I sat on the bed wrapping my arm around his shoulders, pulling him closer to me. "We just need you to heal and recover."

"What about Squad, who is going to be my replacement....". As he rambled, I squeezed his hand forcing him to look at me.

"I am covering Squad, there is no replacement Lieutenant. I took the test the same as you, I'm qualified. Squad 3 is in good hands until you come back". Feeling him relax, I smiled softly.

Staying for a few more minutes for emotional support, knowing he wasn't taking the injury well, I eventually left the room to let Stella be with him. With a nod to Boden as I entered the waiting room, 51 started to exit to head back to the station.

Stopping in front of Stella I hugged her once again. "He needs you". Watching her leave towards his room, I walked through the hospital doors and into the rig.

Entering the firehouse, I walked alongside Matt into Chief's office. Closing the door behind me, I already know what was coming. "Seems like it is time to put your Lieutenant hat on Blake". Going over a few key things we eventually left the office and towards the common area.

I was Lieutenant Blake Severide. I always have been but never used it, I didn't need to. Only desperate times calls for desperate measures.