Pretend it's OK

Russell Ferguson let out a sigh.

It was a cool October afternoon.  The boy had decided to head to the park, rather than just heading home for the weekend, since it was a Friday. He was currently seated in a park bench, spacing out from reality. Next to him was his friend, Minka, whom he had invited. At first, he was nervous to even invite her to take a stroll with him, especially since it was just the two of them, alone.

But then he thought, this might finally be a good time to tell her!

Yes, he thought, he'd finally do it!

She should be aware of how he felt for her.

But now?

Now he felt like a nervous wreck!

The two had been quiet for quite some time now...which was particularly odd. Especially for Minka, since she couldn't stand not even a minute of silence!

However, today the girl was awfully quiet, which Russell had been too oblivious to even notice. He had just been focusing as to how to tell her without sounding like an idiot.

To be truthful, Russell had developed feelings for his overly energetic friend and has been keeping it hidden for as long as he could remember. There were numerous attempts when he would try to tell her, but all had failed.

Perhaps this time would work!

As he was about to say something, the girl had checked the time on her phone and perked up, suddenly beginning to speak.

"Oh! I gotta go now! I just remembered that Cheep Cheep was coming by to visit! I can't keep him waiting!"

He immediately snapped out of his thoughts and processed as to what she had just said. His gaze slowly dropped to his feet, nodding with complete understanding. The two rose to their feet, gazing directly at each other.

"But...this was fun though! The park looks really pretty at this time of year!" She grinned.

"Y-Yeah...it's truly magnificent..." He chuckled, putting his hands in his sweater pockets.

"Yup! Thanks for inviting me! You're too kind!" She giggled.

"O-Oh don't mention it! What are friends for?" He smiled.

Friends?....

"Well, I'll see you later then!" She waved him goodbye and turned around, beginning to walk away. Russell looked back at her for a moment, but then realized what he was doing and quickly called her out.

"Minka wait!" He called out, catching up to her.

"Hm? What is it?" She asked, turning around.

He gulped as he slightly looked away nervously.

"W-Well...there's something I've been meaning to t-tell you...." He fidgeted his fingers.

"Sure! What is it?" Minka grinned. Russell let out a sigh.

"F-Firstly...Do you promise not to laugh? I don't want this to affect our friendship in any way!" He shyly asked.

"Don't worry! I won't laugh!" She put up a hand, signaling that she wouldn't. However, she soon raised a brow in confusion.

"But...how does this affect our friendship?..."

Here it comes...

"W-Well...here's the thing..." He let out another sigh and stared her in the eye.

"A-Actually....All I wanted to say is that I-I....I uh..."

Well? Aren't you going to say it? Now's your chance!

"You what?" She raised a brow.

"I-I uh...I think ....-"

"You think what? Spill it out!" She giggled, eager to hear as to what he was going to say. At this point, his face was completely red from embarrassment.

"Ithinkfallismyfavoriteseason!" He blurted out. Minka stared at him in shock, surprised at this sudden proclamation. Soon, her facial expression formed into a smile.

"Really? Well, I prefer the summer time but that's okay! Fall is cool too!"

"Is that so?..." He mumbled, pulling up his sweater, covering his face. She could only giggle at his sudden action.

"Oh Russell! Why would your preference of season affect our friendship? That's nothing to be ashamed about!"

She came up to him and gently pulled the sweater back down, revealing his tomato like face.

"Thanks..." He let out a small smile.

"Don't mention it! Now I really gotta go now! But thanks for that! You were really brave!" Minka grinned.

"Heh...anytime..." He chuckled.

"Well...see ya!" She turned around and began to walk away.
"Later...." He mumbled as he watched her go off until she was completely out of sight. Once she was completely gone, he let out a sigh, putting on a crestfallen expression.

Nope...I wasn't ready...

He shook his head and headed back to the bench, pondering about the situation. He looked up to view the scenery. Just the thought of the earlier events made him cringe. He couldn't believe the fact that he still couldn't tell her! He'd just have to try again some other time. He let out a sigh.

"Another day, another time.."