The Lead

Russell Ferguson was a lot of things. Serious, attentive, caring, grumpy, maybe a bit cynical (in which he still had no idea why people described him that way), but mainly serious.

Okay, Sunil. Just because some of my plans are far more elaborate than others doesn't make it creepy at all!

But Russell Ferguson was not dumb.

He furrowed his brows as he and Sunil sat on the parade's bleachers, idly watching Pepper pacing back and forth on the sidewalk. She was deep in thought.

In all fairness, he too would be doing the same thing if he was ever thinking hard about something, but this was Pepper. What was she so worried about?

"It doesn't make any sense..." Pepper said as she continued pacing around, "It really doesn't make any sense..."

"Ugh, it really doesn't make any sense if you're not telling us anything." Sunil rolled his eyes as he looked down at his phone, currently reading through some texts. Russell however, crossed his arms, fully aware that Pepper was only thinking of how they saw Captain and Mitzi together earlier.

"Pepper, I think you're taking this situation a bit too dramatically." He said, "they're just two friends hanging out on this beautiful Saturday morning, wanting to enjoy a parade. What's so wrong with that?"

"What's wrong?" Pepper scoffed, "I never said there was anything wrong with that!" She glanced up at him, "What makes you say that, huh?"

"Nothing!" Russell sheepishly grinned, "it's just so weird seeing you like this! No offense.."

"Taken. Badly." Pepper fake gasped as she clutched her heart. "You really are cynical, dude."

"Wha- who told you THAT?!" Russell scoffed, Sunil merely whistling as he blindly scrolled through his phone.

"Whatever. What am I even doing? What are WE doing just sitting around doing NOTHING?" Pepper chuckled, a bit too forcefully, "Let's go and get some food!"

"Now?" Sunil looked up, "But half of the booths aren't even open yet."

"So? We'll look for one that is!" Pepper climbed up the bleachers, "What do you guys want? Tacos? Nachos? Or those cool looking gyros we passed by earlier? Or-"

"Churros." Russell said.

"Huh."

"I'm craving some churros right now, and I think there was a perfectly good stand back there." Russell smirked. "I mean, unless you DON'T want to head back that direction, then I completely understand!"

Sunil, looking up from his phone, glanced between the two, now a bit more interested in the conversation.

Pepper glared at him, "does it HAVE to be churros?"

"What's wrong with a simple churro?" Russell raised a brow, his smile widening, "they're not THAT bad. Unless you have a PROBLEM with churros-"

"Ugh, I know what you're trying to do." Proper crossed her arms, "and it's not gonna work!"

"Is it not?" Russell chuckled, "then why is Sunil already on his way over there?"

"Wha-" Pepper wildly turned her head, her eyes scanning for the tall, blue haired boy, and indeed, he was already making his way over there, still looking at his phone.

"Well, we might as well follow him." Russell stood up, "unless you're too scared to even face the captain again?"

"Mention the captain one more time, and I will cram a churro down your throat." Pepper poked his chest before descending down the bleachers.