Chapter Two

Thank you so much acha9x for this awesome banner (:

Be sure to email me at Midika36@gmail.com with your banners, and username so I can give you a mention!

Word Count: 2417

~Thea

"We are going to die..."

I nestle my head between the cushions of June's beaten up old couch, wishing it would completely drown out the sound of her insistent voice.

I had shown up here believing fully that she wouldn't find out about Jessica going missing. She never leaves the damn house-I even have to buy her groceries for her-and I assumed her parents wouldn't tell her either.

"Missing? No one ever goes missing here," she says, sounding so distressed I almost felt sorry for her. Too bad she thinks it is a fictional character that is the cause of the disappearance...

"She hated everyone here," I try to convince her. "It wouldn't surprise me if she just up and left."

June doesn't look convinced. Her fingers fiddle with the bottom of her shirt, which she does when she is nervous. Her face is shadowed, as her back faces the window. It is quite a scene, with the thunderstorm currently raging outside.

It doesn't rain very often. And storms occur so rarely it's considered an event. So with the rain beating down on June's roof, and windows, with thunder rumbling in the background, I am surprised she isn't frightened over that.

"What is she was kidnapped? What if we are next?" she demands, raking her hands through her mass of curls.

In that moment, she looked a lot like Jessica. "June, calm-"

"I live alone...Oh goddess," she cursed, starting to pace in front of me. "I'm next aren't I?"

I jump up, grabbing June's shoulders. I glare at her, holding her tight as she shakes beneath my hands. She is genuinely scared, and I can't really blame her. Something like this has never happened in our peaceful little town.

All of a sudden, the wind howls loudly from outside, and the lights flicker off.

We aren't in complete darkness, but it is enough to have June cry out and dive at the couch, throwing a blanket over herself. The trees outside wave their branches around, the little light from the dark clouds cast strange shadows across the floorboards.

"It's fine...Just wind," I croak. Storms scare me. Always have. The thought of mother nature potential casting a terrible disaster across the Pack is terrifying.

The sound of June's whimpering brings my attention back to her. "We just have to wait for it to pass."

Again, the wind picks up, thrashing the trees around so violently a branch snaps off a near one, skidding across the deck. And then, the door blows open.

The force is so strong, it swings back, and hits the window, smashing it completely. The crash of the glass and June's scream are similar. Glass scatters across the ground, landing at my feet.

"We are going to die!" I hear June faintly through the sound of the wind in my ears. It is deafening, as I fight my way to the door, the force of the wind unnaturally strong. All I could think in my head, is something is wrong, things like this never happen.

I grab the edge of the door, glass crunching under my shoes. Using the strength I developed from carrying plates to customers at work all day, I force the door closed, only satisfied when I heard it click.