Chapter Three

Thank you so much to EvangellaAkrati for the awesome banner!! (:

Be sure to email me at Midika36@gmail.com with your banners, and username so I can give you a mention!

Word Count: 1668

~Thea

I lay under my covers, listening intently to the sound of heavy rain pattering against the roof. It's an addictive, lulling sound that has me wanting to stuff my head into my pillow and sleep for a few more hours.

But I had promised to meet Luca at the diner for lunch before my shift. I glance over at my bedside table to see I have to be there in an hour...

I'm out of bed in a second, and into the shower. Luca hates it when I am late, and personally I do to. Unfortunately, I am not the most organised person in the world. So when I am finally dressed and towel drying my hair, I guess the knock at the door is Luca hurrying me along.

And I keep thinking that, until I open the door.

My towel slips from my fingers, pooling at my feet. Eyes wide, I am stuck staring at the most attractive man I have ever seen. No one got close to contesting that thought. Not Luca...No one.

"Good morning," he says. And the voice that comes out of his mouth is surprising. Those two words he uttered should have been cheerful and light. But he pronounced them delicately, his voice deep and soft. And the accent...So familiar, but exotic in a way I couldn't even begin to explain.

I just stood, staring out the door like an absolute idiot, taking in the God at my doorstep. I couldn't take my eyes off his own. A deep-set swirling violet tinted with the darkest ebony black was confined to the irises of his eyes. It almost trapped me, like hands made from the illusory magic that seemed to pull me in.

He must have been at least a few years older than me. Maturity was etched into his expression, as he stared at me as intently as I stared at him. But he didn't have the thick, matted wet hair upon his head like me. No, just shadowy wisps of mussed black hair dance across his sun kissed forehead. And if my eyes didn't deceive me, then a similar tint of violet to his eyes was entwined within the strands.

I know normal, and this is not normal.

"Ah...I...hi." The words stumbled from my mouth with no filter, probably incoherent.

The more I stare at him, the stranger he becomes. I could never imagine someone looking so beautiful...Almost magical. And despite the rain pouring down outside, not an ounce of water tainted his being. Perhaps the canopy dad had slung up to keep the rain off the deck protected him, but he had to have gotten here somehow, and I don't see a car in sight, or an umbrella in his hand.

"I came to return this to you," he tells me, voice low and caressing. My knees want to collapse me in front of him.

He holds up his hand, and I notice he is holding a leash. My eyes travel further back behind him, and I meet the bright eyes of Squiggles, June's dog.

"Where did you find him?" I ask, bending down with my arms extended. I didn't like the dog, but the relief that consumed me from seeing it alive was too overwhelming to ignore. And for the faintest second, it was more normal than the stranger.

Because strangers don't exist in our town.

The dog runs into my arm, putting its dirty paws on my thighs at it licks my face with a sloppy tongue. I resist the urge to cringe in front of the dog saving God.