I Miss You

Watching through my fingers, watching through my fingers
Shut my eyes and count to ten
It goes in one ear out the other, one ear out the other
Burning bright right till the end
Now you'll be missing from the photographs, missing from the photographs

You were at the Avengers tower waiting for Tony and the rest of the team to get home. As Tony's boyfriend you lived in the tower with the rest of the team.

You always hated when Tony went on missions, you were always afraid he wouldn't make it back, but you've learned to trust Tony's fighting skills. He is capable of taking care of himself. You decide to just take a nap.

You wake up to five miss calls and ten texts. They're all from Steve, weird. They must be coming back from the mission, even so, it's weird that Tony hasn't tried to reach you.

You call him back. Once the blond picks up he sounds panicked.

"(Y/n)!?"

"Yeah, I'm here, sorry I was taking a nap. How was the mission?"

"About that..." Steve sounds nervous and.... Dreadful.

"What?" You grow nervous.

"It's Tony, he... He was hurt really badly."

Your whole world shatters, it's like everything went grey. Hot tears sting your eyes.

"(Y/n)? (Y/n), I sent the address of the hospital to Happy."

You nod not caring if he can see you or not. Without a word you hang up. You curl into a ball sobbing. After a minute, you've calmed down enough to make your way to the car Happy's waiting in.

Watching through my fingers, watching through my fingers
In my thoughts you're far away
And you are whistling the melody, whistling the melody
Crystallizing clear as day
Oh, I can picture you so easily, picture you so easily

You silently thank Happy for not even trying to talk to you. When you get to the hospital you run in and find Steve in the lobby. He hugs you.

"Tony's in surgery, we won't be able to see him for awhile."

You nod trying not to let any more tears fall, you've always hated crying in front of people, but it's all in vain. Steve guides you to a chair. You sit there numbly until the doctor comes out.

You can't even hear what the man says, the only word that you can focus on is 'coma'.

"You can see him now."

Steve thanks the doctor, then leads you to Tony's room. You break down sobbing when you see your Tony laying there bruised with a tube down his throat.

Steve holds you letting you get it all out. You shake your head as tears fall.

"No, no, no he's, he's fine. He's going to be just fine." You sob out.

"You know Tony, he won't give up without a fight. He'll make it through."

~~~~~

Hours later you've calmed down, you're not crying anymore but you feel like you're on the verge of tears still. You're sitting next to Tony holding his limp hand.

You're scrolling through pictures of Tony on your phone, pictures of the two of you being ridiculous and just messing around, to pictures you had taken of Tony without his knowledge.

Those were your favorite pictures, people always look better in pictures they didn't know were being taken. Tony looks so pure in them. You sigh as a tear rolls down your cheek.

"Night Tony, I love you."

You whisper as you kiss his forehead.

What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?
What's gonna be left of the world, oh
Every minute and every hour
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you more
Every stumble and each misfire
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you more

You get woken by a loud beep, all of a sudden a bunch of people rush in. All of them are going to Tony, one of them pushes you out and says you need to leave.

It takes a minute for you to process what just happened, and when you do, you collapse onto the floor outside of the room.

You cry into your hands as you see them all file out of the room. The doctor helps you up saying they did everything they could.

You run into Tony's room, sitting on the edge of the hospital bed. You literally hiss at the nurses when they try to tell you that you can't be in here or touch him. You faintly hear the doctor tell his staff to give you a few minutes as you pull Tony's dead body into a tight hug, sobbing into his cold shoulder.

You stumble out of the hospital awhile later, texting Happy asking to be picked up. Soon you're back in you and Tony's bed, where you sob.

Watching through my fingers, watching through my fingers
Caught off guard by your favorite song
I'll be dancing at a funeral, dancing at a funeral
Sleeping in the clothes you love
It's such a shame we had to see them burn, shame we had to see them burn

You don't speak much for the next couple of weeks. Steve, amazing Steve, plans most of the funeral, you did what you could but it was too much. Everytime you tried to plan anything you broke down crying.

You lay in bed wishing you didn't have to go to the funeral, you hate funerals. You hold Tony's shirt that you're wearing close to you. You drift to sleep smelling Tony's cologne.

~~~~~

The day you've been dreading is here, the funeral. You get dressed, steeling yourself so you don't cry in front of anyone.

Steve rides with you to the funeral, it's nice not being alone, even if you don't say a word.

When you get to the funeral home, you and Steve walk up to the casket. You grab him, half as reassurance, as you see your one and only love, your soulmate, lying there, in a glorified box, dead. Dead....

You might have to excuse me
I've lost control of all my senses
And you might have to excuse me
I've lost control of all my words
So get drunk, call me a fool
Put me in my place, put me in my place
Pick me up, up off the floor
Put me in my place, put me in my place

After the funeral, when everyone is mingling you stay at the bar, consuming drink after drink. At some point Steve cuts you off.

"You've had enough, (Y/n)."

"I don't think I've had enough."

You slur trying to take your drink back from him. He sighs, pouring the drink out. For some reason that made you so angry.

"Who gives you the right to tell me how much to drink!? Who gives you a right to be here!? You were Tony's captain! You were supposed to protect him! What happened!? Why didn't you protect him!"

You break down sobbing again. You're so fucking sick of crying. Steve tries to give you a hug, to comfort you knowing you didn't mean what you said, but you push him away. You storm out of the home.

You walk, where? You have no idea. You just walk. You do feel bad for saying those things to Steve but right now you just can't do it. You need to be alone.

What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it
what's gonna be left of the world, oh
Every minute and every hour
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you more
Every stumble and each misfire
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you more