Fix My Heart

Tony x Mutant! Male Reader

CW: slight descriptions of child abuse.

~~~~

You sighed as Nick Fury gave you a mission with the Avengers leaving you no option to say no. You didn't want to be brought into this, you just wanted to live your life.

Your childhood is what most would call absolute shit. You grew up in a time when mutants were not accepted at all. Of course when your mutation came in, you couldn't control it.

You always thought about it as Harry Potter, when his magic came in (or anyone in that universe) he couldn't control it. It wasn't until he was whisked away from his abusive family that he learned how to control and hone his power. You could actually relate to that part of Harry's story.

Your mutation is a bit different from most mutants. You have the power of invisibility and control of the four elements. You were twelve when the power of elements first came in.

Water pipes would burst, the gas stove flame would grow too high for a stove, but not high enough to burn the house down (except for that one time). Wind would pick up around you, like a mini tornado, sometimes the earth would even shake around you.

Your parents were loving and amazing, until your mutation came in, then they hated you. They treated you like absolute trash. At that time, almost everyone looked down upon mutants.

They'd call you a freak, unnatural, unlovable, and the one that hurt the most, you're not our son, our son died. They began beating you cause their words just weren't enough. They'd starve you, beat you, and treated you like nothing more than a slave. A slave to cook and clean, just a thing to use to get their anger out.

A few months later this became routine. Mom comes home from work, sneers at you, yells at you for not doing something right (it was always something) then slapping you before going off to the other room because she "can't stand the sight of you".

Your dad came home not long after her and he was worse. He'd yell for you not having their dinner done, he would throw plates at you then make you clean them up. Then he'd find some reason to beat you, anything to hurt you. He'd like to punch you hard enough to make you fall then kick you as hard as he could until he got all his anger out.

A few months of this abuse is when the invisibility came in. When you got scared you'd turn invisible. That always made them angrier, but you couldn't help it. It was your body, your mutation protecting you.

By the time you were sixteen, a man in a wheelchair saved you. You soon found out his name is Charles Xavier. He runs a school for mutants like him and you. He and other mutants teach mutant children how to control their powers. He truly saved you.

You shake your head as you walk into the Avengers building. You make your way to the room the meeting for this stupid mission is to be held.

Once you're in the room you sit the farthest away from everyone. Fury starts as soon as Tony Stark comes in, ten minutes after the meeting was supposed to start.

"Hey, no one told me the new guy was gonna be so cute."

You blush looking down. Fury gives Tony a look as he continues like Tony never interrupted.

The meeting was fairly simple, The Avengers will be fighting the Hydra agents and you, using your invisibility, will get the files they stole from Shield. You also have to train with them to work on teamwork or something before the mission.

~~~~

Today you're training with Cap. You do breathing exercises preparing yourself for hand to hand combat. You know you're going to be touched so you're calming yourself beforehand knowing it's going to happen.

You were able to take him down rather quickly by sucking all the air out of his lungs. He reprimanded you, once you gave the air back, reminding you that this is supposed to be hand to hand combat training.

~~~~

Throughout the week you train with the different Avengers, every session went well, it's like training with the X-Men.

Today is the day you train with Tony. You're a bit nervous. You do your breathing exercises before walking in.

"Bout time time you got here, cutie."

You roll your eyes.

"Says the man who's always at least ten minutes late."

Tony chuckles, throwing a baton club thing at you, you just barely dodge it by catching it.

"Always be on guard."

You smirk knowing that the fight has begun.

~~~~

The fight went well, you won. Tony liked to throw banter back and forth during the fight. He's quite funny, and attractive.

You shake your head trying to get the thought out of your head, you're not allowed to think like that.

~~~~

After a month training with the Avengers the mission finally rolls around. The mission went smoothly. In celebration, Tony is throwing a little party. You don't really want to go, you tried to say you couldn't go but Tony wouldn't take no for an answer.

So now you're sitting out on the balcony of the Avengers tower. You're not the best around people, you're more of the loner type.

Tony comes out and sits next to you. You sigh knowing your peace has been broken. You look the man over, he doesn't look very sober, yet somehow he still manages to look flawless, and his eyes look beautiful in the stars.

You look back at said stars, they're a bit hard to see in the city. You've spent quite a bit of time with Tony within the past month. You've developed feelings for him, it scares the shit out of you.

"The stars are beautiful tonight."

"You can barely see them."

You scoff earning a chuckle from the man next to you.

"Touchy"

"I think you mean, Touché."

"Do I?"

You laugh, making him laugh. When you both come down from your laughing fit Tony asks

"Would you like to have dinner with me, (Y/n)?"

You bite your lip dreading having to answer. You like him, yes, but what if he flips and hurts you like your parents did? Deep inside you know he'd never do that, he's not that kind of guy, but you can't help it.

"You know I'd never hurt you, right?"

You look over at him.

"I... I read your file..."

He admits shamefully. You look back at the stars.

"Tony...."

You start but Tony interrupts you by touching your shoulder to make you look at him. You stiffen automatically at his touch and you just stare at him, he removes his hand quickly. You know you've turned invisible so you take deep breaths to calm down.

Once your visibility comes back Tony apologizes.

"I'm so sorry, (Y/n), I didn't think and I'm stupid and I'm sorry."

You shake your head.

"Forget it."

You dismiss him walking away.

"(Y/n), wait!"

You stop turning back around to face him.

"I'm sorry, please, just one dinner? I promise to make it worth your while."

You sigh not knowing what to do. Your brain is telling you to walk away, but your heart is telling you to stay.

"I'll do everything in my power to make you happy, I promise."

In the end your heart wins, you nod.

"Alright, one dinner.

He smiles at you, that blinding smile that makes you smile against your will.