MIXTAPE

ON THE DRIVE BACK to Moncrieff, Beth turns round in the passenger seat and says, 'There's something I've been meaning to ask you guys. Charlotte, you said that alternative DJ's name is Helgé, right? Is that his real name, do you think?'

'Yes, Helgé Janssen,' says Gray.

'Oh my goodness, I knew it!' she says animatedly. 'Helgé is such an unusual name round these parts, and I wondered if it was the same guy. I was friends with his younger sister at school in Port Shepstone!'

'No way!' you say.

'You're kidding!' says Gray.

'Isn't it just the most unbelievably small world?' says Beth. 'That was a very long time ago, though. He probably won't remember me.'

'Oh, speaking of clubs and music, here's the mixtape I made you.' You pull it out your bag and hand it over the seat. 'A lot of this music Helgé actually introduced me to. He's got the best record collection of anyone I know.' You've titled it "Soundtrack to my life." A bit poncey perhaps, but you couldn't think of anything else.

Alphaville — Forever Young

Bauhaus — She's in Parties

Camouflage — Love is a Shield

The Charlatans — The Only One I Know

The Cure — Charlotte Sometimes

David Bowie — Ashes to Ashes

Depeche Mode — Walking in My Shoes

The Getout — Secondhand Junk Store

James — Born of Frustration

Jesus Jones — Who? Where? Why?

Joy Division — She's Lost Control

Kate Bush — Running Up That Hill

The Mission — Butterfly on a Wheel

Morrissey — Everyday is Like Sunday

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds — The Weeping Song

No Friends of Harry — A Long Way Home

Primal Scream — Higher Than the Sun

Siouxsie and the Banshees — Christine

The Sisters of Mercy — Marian

The Smiths — How Soon is Now?

The Stone Roses — I Wanna Be Adored

Suede — Animal Nitrate

Velvet Underground — Venus in Furs

The Wolfgang Press — Kansas

'Fantastic, thank you!' She scans the track list via intermittent pools of streetlight, punctuating the darkness of the BMW's tiny cabin like a lazy strobe.

'Hmmm, Bowie and Kate Bush and the Velvet Underground are about the only names I know. Max and I will listen to it in the car on the way home.'

'Oh, and one last thing,' you continue. 'In here you'll find some photos of me growing up, and some photostats of those essays and poems and art and stuff I told you about.' You hand her the envelope you've been carrying around in your bag all night, waiting for the right moment to give to her.

'Oh, Charlotte, thank you! I will treasure these.' She hugs the envelope to her chest in a gesture of intense gratitude. Funny how a bunch of old photos and bits of paper can make for such a meaningful gift. You're glad you went to the effort.

'Listen, before you go, there's just one more thing I want to ask you.' She sounds serious.

'Sure.'

'Look, I know how busy you are with work and saving for your trip these next three months, but I would love it if we could meet up just one last time before you go. For lunch. At Circus Circus in Musgrave, perhaps? My treat. The thing is, I've got a couple of friends who are dying to meet you, and I really feel like we're running out of time. Christmas is just round the corner, then New Year, and then you're leaving.'

'That'll be awesome, thanks.' Ha! Who said there's no such thing as a free lunch? In fact, you're beginning to feel a bit like a celebrity. So many people you've never even met, who already know so much about you, all wanting to spend some time in your company.

'You can phone Gray's folks and leave a message for me there anytime. I'll phone you back as soon as I can, and we can make plans.'

'Perfect, will do.'

And with that Max pulls up outside your building.

A FEW WEEKS LATER, another letter from Dylan arrives.