Chapter 7

Kate excused herself to use the restroom when they arrived at the restaurant, and she took a moment to look at her reflection in the mirror. She couldn't help the flush that had sneaked across her cheeks when Lee had placed his hand in the small of her back to escort her into the restaurant. A simple touch from him affected her greatly and she didn't understand why. The only thing she could think of was that it had been so long since anyone had touched her.

Eventually she had to join him, and when she did he had ordered their drinks.

"You had said you wanted ice tea, right?" He nodded towards the glass on the table.

She couldn't speak so she just nodded in return, watching him as he looked at the menu.

"It looks like it's all of the classic Mexican dishes," he commented, and she took the hint to look at her menu as well. They decided in silence and placed their orders with the waitress when she returned.

The silence continued after the waitress left while Kate tried to think of something to say. She had plenty of things she could ask, but knowing she probably wouldn't get an answer she decided that she would start with an easy one.

"You had mentioned that you have had Mexican food in other places? Where?" She cleared her throat as soon as she finished asking, noting that the amused expression was back. Kate didn't know if she should be glad or angry that she seemed to easily amuse him.

"That is the most polite and reasonable way anyone has asked me where I've been the last fifteen years." He had taken off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves, giving her ample opportunity to examine his sinewy forearms that had a dusting of golden hair. It was the most of his skin she had ever seen in the broad light of day.

"It's alright, you don't have to tell me," she amended, "I was just trying to make conversation and I thought it would be a fair and impersonal question."

He shrugged, "It's not that big of a mystery, I have spent most of my time floating between California and Virginia, and California has some excellent Mexican food, but I've also been to Mexico."

"And you ate the food but didn't drink the water, right?" she teased.

"Something like that." He laughed. "What about you, where are you from?" he asked before she could ask the next logical question which would be how he had ended up in California and Virginia.

"I'm from Georgia."

He nodded. "I caught the hint of the southern accent, where in Georgia?"

"Savannah." She sipped her tea again as she played with the straw, not realizing she was doing it.

"Why did you move here? It seems a bit of a step down." He leaned back watching her closely and it made her very self-conscious.

"I needed a change and this is where my finger landed on the map," she said with another shrug.

"You're a bit of a free spirit aren't you, you pick your wool because you feel sorry for it, and you choose where you're going to live by pointing at a map."

"Once maybe, but not now." She pushed back the thought of Colten. Now was not the time to fall into one of her slumps.

"What about you, you seem to move around a bit, are you a free spirit?"

"Definitely not." He laughed again at the thought.

"Are you going to keep the ranch?" she asked suddenly, wanting to know. His smile was starting to get to her, and maybe if he confirmed her gut instinct, that he was not staying, it would offer her some protection.