Chapter 23

Kate was sitting at the table in the kitchen the next morning with Sam and Penny when Lee returned from his morning run. He was wearing his sleeveless shirt and running shorts, and he was sweaty and winded.

Penny handed him a bottle of water and he smiled his thanks as he took the cap off and drained it in a few gulps. "This heat is a work out in itself." He shook his head, looking down at himself. "I'll go get cleaned up."

Penny watched his departing back. "That's a lot of muscle Kate, what does he do with it all?" Then she giggled. "That came out wrong didn't it?"

Sam smiled indulgently. "Yes, my dear, it did." He looked at Kate who was coloring with Colten and Sam Junior. "What does he do Kate? I couldn't help but notice a few of his scars and the one on his leg looked fresh."

Kate nodded. "He was shot," she said softly.

"Kate!" Penny ran to the door to make sure Lee wasn't there.

"He knows he was shot Penny. It's not a secret we're keeping from him."

"What does he do Kate?" Sam asked again. He had his serious doctor look.

"He's in the Navy." She couldn't help the pride in her voice. "He's a SEAL."

"He's a Navy SEAL?" Penny's eyes grew wide in shock.

"Yes, which is why he has to be back in California on Monday. His leave is over and he has to be back on base."

"Well that explains the muscle," Penny said, sitting down hard. She looked over at her husband and they exchanged concerned looks.

"Look guys, I knew what he was all about before we started this...thing. I knew he wasn't staying and that he had to leave. It's fine."

"You never do things the easy way, do you Kate?" Sam asked softly.

"No, what would be the fun in that?" She stood up, it was time to start getting ready for the service. "What time do you want to leave?" she asked as she headed towards the door.

"About ten-thirty. It shouldn't be a long drive."

Kate nodded before she headed up to the bedroom to change. She was looking out the window when Lee exited the bathroom drying his short hair with a towel. He had shaved and he looked much more respectable.

"I got the feeling that I made a bit of an entrance?"

"You did, Sam noted all of your scars."

"What did you tell him?" Lee asked sitting on the edge of the bed, a towel wrapped around his waist.

"I told him that you were a nefarious drug lord and that you were all kinds of trouble."

"Well as long as you told him the truth."

"You sure you still want me to come with you? I can wait here if you've changed your mind," Lee offered, watching her closely.

"No, I want you to come." She moved towards the bathroom to start getting ready. "But if you don't want to..."

"I want to; I want to be there for you Kate."

Kate nodded before she closed the door between them. She would get through this day if it killed her.

Shortly before it was time to leave Kate presented herself downstairs in the kitchen. It had been a long time since she had taken such care with her appearance. She was wearing a black dress that had a scalloped V-neck and matching cap sleeves. It was modest in its cut and length, stopping just above her knees. She had chosen black flats, knowing from experience that the ground at the cemetery would be soft. Her hair was tamed and pulled back into a neat chignon, and she had little pearl earrings and a matching necklace around her neck.