Chapter 20

When Kate awoke it was to the late afternoon sunlight as it filtered through her window and over the bed. She watched the dust as it floated in the sunlight and she wondered where Lee was. She didn't have to wonder for long because he entered carrying a tray with snacks on it.

She sat up clutching the bed sheet to her chest and pushing her hair out of her eyes. "What time is it?" she asked, reaching for a bottle of water that was on the tray. She couldn't help but let her gaze wander over his chest and mussed up hair. His beard was also starting to get rather thick and it reminded her of when he had first come into the diner; she had been drawn to him even then.

"It's about half past six. Why, do you have some where you have to rush off to?"

Kate felt the bed dip as he sat on the end facing her with the tray between them.

"No," she whispered as she blushed.

"Good." His eyes met hers and she felt her heart turn over in her chest.

"Thank you," she said as she reached for a piece of toast with jam.

"You're welcome," he said as he also reached for a piece of food.

"No." She forced herself to swallow the bite of food that was in her mouth. "Thank you for before," she felt herself blush, "I didn't know it could be like that. I mean I knew, I read books and watch movies, but I didn't know it could be like that for me."

Lee tilted his head as he chewed his food, considering her. "Kate, I think it's time that you tell me why you're so sad, who the boy is in the photos? I would really like to know."

Kate nodded. "O.K." She took a last sip of her water before she set it aside. "Would you mind getting the photo album out of the bottom drawer." She waved her hand in the direction of her chest of drawers.

Lee stood up with a teasing smile. "I should make you get it, that way I would be able to enjoy the view." It only took him a moment to return to the bed, where he sat down next to Kate leaning against the headboard.

Kate reached for the album and laid it on her lap letting her hand brush over the cover as if it would help sooth her sadness. "I told you last week, that if we were in my home town that it would be me that they would be warning you against."

Lee nodded, not saying anything as he watched her hand glide over the cover of the album.

"I ..." She didn't know where to start. She had fallen in love with this man and she didn't want him to think less of her once he knew the truth.

"Keep it simple Kate," he urged, "the boy in the photos, who is he?"

"Colten, my son," she said it softly, it had been so long since she had spoken his name aloud.

"Is he with his father, do you miss him, is that why you're so sad?"

"No." Kate cleared her throat. "He never had a father." Suddenly it was easy, as the flood gates opened and the words came pouring out, she wouldn't have been able to stop them if she had wanted to. "I had a good childhood. My parents were both well-to-do Savannahians, part of the country club set and all of that. My father was a lawyer and my mother sat on more boards then I could count. I took ballet, gymnastics, horseback riding, all of the things that made a proper lady out of a little girl." She looked at Lee to make sure that he was still listening and noted that he had crossed his arms and was looking at his bare feet with an intense focus.

"I was over protected though, especially when it came to boys. The summer before my senior year, when I was seventeen, my father hired a new intern. His name was David and he must have seen me coming from a mile away. He was also from an old Savannah family, older than mine, and he was attending Harvard. My parents were pleased by the attention that he was paying me, hoping that it would develop into an engagement and an eventual marriage. It didn't."