Chapter 9

PLEASE READ: I get a LOT of comments on the next three or four chapters from younger readers (and some older ones) who consistently say they are confused. Or they don't understand what is going on. They ask if someone please explain. So, rather than giving the same response to a million comments, I decided to write it here.

Yes--this part is confusing for some people. Yes--these next few chapters don't seem to make a lot of sense. BUT--if you just keep reading the book, I PROMISE everything that happens will be completely explained.

Like in all stories, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and trust the story will work itself out and you will eventually understand exactly what happened. Until then, these are also some of the chapters that people love the best in the story so--if you are confused, don't worry about it!! A lot of people are in this part. Just enjoy the book because, again, I promise it will all be explained and you will eventually understand everything!! :) Thanks, guys!!                     

PART II: TIME AFTER TIME

The first thing that came clear to Cacee was the sound of Shane's frantic barking. She blinked blearily and put her hands over her ears. "Shhhh! Stop, Shane!"

To her relief, her pup quieted and put his paws on her knee for her to pick him up. She couldn't. She sat right where she'd been, on the log a seven or eight feet from where Jess stood. Her body felt battered though, her mind hazy and confused. Her head pounded like someone had been using it as a hockey puck.

Jess asked, "What the hell? What is this?" His voice sounded high and shaky. Young. She'd never heard him sound so scared, not even at the museum.

As for her, she felt like the time she'd gotten her tonsils out and woken up from the anesthesia utterly bewildered, unable to remember what she was doing in the hospital. She frowned and stumbled to her feet, trying to think. Jess had asked what she wanted him to paint and then? Nothing. Everything else was gone. She tried to blink the blurriness out of her gaze as she stood on legs that shook so badly she feared she'd fall.

Her eyesight cleared as she focused on Jess. He stood to the side of the canvas, swaying like he'd had too much to drink. As she watched he staggered and grabbed a nearby tree.

"Jess?"

He lifted his head. Even by the light of the moon, he looked too pale. He asked, "Did you see me paint this? What happened? I zoned out again, didn't I?" His voice rose with each question, and was yelling by the time he said, "Tell me what I did!"

His panicked questions fed her fear. He'd zoned out again? Then why didn't she remember? What was going on?

She snapped, "Stop yelling at me! I can't remember anything. You were just standing there, getting ready to paint and the next thing I knew, Shane started barking but something happened in between because I'm all achy and sick and I can't remem--."

She heard her voice building to hysteria and bit her words in half. Shane let out a whine, and she bent to pick him up. He snuggled close and licked her chin. Her legs steadied a bit as her teeth stopped chattering.

Jess walked closer and laid his hand on her shoulder. "Okay. It's okay. I'm sorry. I didn't know it happened to you too. I don't understand how that could be, but we'll figure this out. Don't be scared, alright?"

She nodded shakily. "I'm okay. What did you paint?"

There was both fear and worry in his eyes as he said, "You're going to have to see it to understand. Take a few breaths, okay?"