Makoto & Kiyoshi

I'm a transfer student from England. Due to that fact the American students flocked to me. That's all calmed down now though. Now I'm just you're average guy. I sit at my desk, get good grades, chat amongst those around me. Most people say I'm an outgoing guy. It's true I guess, since everyone is my friend. Well, most people. Most people get along with me as well. He doesn't though. I didn't take it too harsh considering he doesn't like anyone. At least that's what I thought.

" Kiyoshi, what're you starin' at?" Ah, he left. " Nothing really. I was wondering, that Asian kid, what's his name?" He sighed, "You mean Makoto don't you? I'm tellin' ya it's pointless, he doesn't like anyone." Where's Makoto always rushing off to? "How are you sure if you don't talk to him, have you tried?" " Heh, not really. It's just he always has this uninterested look, plus he doesn't really say much." I'm sure I've heard him, well I've heard him try to say something. He has a soft voice, one you can't hear unless you listen for it. " Well, I'm off." I tossed my bag over my shoulder and waved bye as I headed home. I should get something from the corner store, my parents said they'd be out late.

"It should be around here..."

I don't really get out much now do I? I headed for the doors and waited for them to slide open. Now what to get? I wandered up and down each isle inspecting every shelf thoroughly. They must've just got their stock, some where completely stacked while others were nearly out. They sell subs here don't they? I grabbed a lemonade from the freezer then approached the showcase full of food. "...." Huh? Did someone say something? " How may I help you." It was a little bit louder, but still quiet enough to be blended with the sound of the overheating machine. A soft voice but low enough to tell it was a guys voice. "Ah, so many choices." The man didn't say anything. " You like pasta don't you... At least that's what I've heard." " I love pasta!" A long slender hand reached for a sub. It was beaten, a working hand that was very visibly distinctive. " I recommend the spaghetti sub. I've had them myself, and I think you'll enjoy them Kiyoshi." My name? I didn't say my name did I? Then they know me? I looked up from my squatting position to see I'm talking to the shy guy, Makoto. I smiled. " So you do know my name." The same expression, yet different somehow. It wasn't a bored look they'd all been exposed to. It was his trouble to express things. "Why wouldn't I know you're name?" I stood up and rubbed the back of my head and neck. " Well, we don't really talk. My bad for making assumptions." An awkward silence as I deterred my eyes every which way. "Do you want to hang out once you're off?" His expression stayed the same yet his eyes glistened like an innocent child, but suddenly they stopped. "..." He's mumbling again, does he have plans already? " Id like to but, I have to get home." Has to get home? For what? Grounded? "Could I come?" His eyes were filled with a child like glow again. "I don't see why not, I get off in five minutes."

I can't imagine what this dudes home life is like. It's even more shocking he let me come. I'm not sure what it is about him but I just wanna know more. "..." I just stared at him for a while. "You really need to speak up." He shrugged, " no point to". We didn't say much until we got to his house. To my surprise he lived in a lower class apartment.

"My sis will be home soon" he mumbled. " What about your parents?" He avoided my question and lead me to the den. He left me sitting there to get drinks. When he returned his air was different. "My parents don't live here." He sat the tray down and sat next to me. I want to ask why but I think it's a little out of line. He leaned his head on my shoulder. "That's why I work so hard. Supporting a family is hard." I'm not sure what to say, what can someone say at a time like this? I put my arm around his shoulder. "I may not know what to say or do, but just know I'm here for you". He lifted his head from my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. "Thanks" he says in my ear as he hugs me.

"Tadaima, Oniichan!" Japanese? "Okaeri." This was the loudest I've ever heard him be. He watched and waited for his sister to enter the room. She came running full speed but froze in her tracks at the sight of us. We were sitting close to the touch still, my left side squished against his right; it was warm. I didn't mind it, in fact I liked it. I need to stop falling for guys who will never date me. "Tomodachi?" The younger girl said in question. Makoto stood and walked over to her. His warmth lingered at my side and I lazily reached for him, but seeing the two of them together awed me. She looked just like him. I imagine that's somewhat how he looked when he was younger. I couldn't help myself, she was so cute. One second I was sitting silently the next I was squeezing her in my arms, throwing all of us into confusion.

"Don't touch me! Who are you?" She shouts. " I'm sorry. I tend to act without thinking." Makoto stands by not saying a word as she throws a tantrum. Finally, " Emi calm yourself, he's our guest." She shoots me a dirty glare before walking off. " Emi is a very strong minded person." He starts cleaning up and I follow him around waiting for something, anything. Eventually he sighs as he looks at the time. " I have to go or Ill be late for work. It was nice hanging out with you, but its time you leave." He follows me to the door then we give our good byes, I smile and wave. "Ill cya tomorrow!" I yell.

Morning came quick but I was full of enthusiasm. I couldn't wait to greet my new friend. As always he showed up late, but this time I laughed and waved. He did a slight wave back then took his seat. Our classmates stared at us in astonishment.