Chapter 2

Things have been bad lately. Everyone's been telling me bad things about that boy I saw yesterday. And nobody even knows his name. I take a deep breath and walk up to him during last period. We have that class, along with others, together.

I go over all of the rumors that people have been telling me as I walk over to him.

About how he killed his mom. Just keep walking, Mallory.

And how he threw her body and personal items into the lake down the road from my house. Keep going. I breathe out as I lay my hand on shoulder. He turns around and eyes me. "What do you want, bitch?!"

I laugh quietly and look down. "Fuck no. You don't get to say those things about me when you don't even know me." His eyes go wide as I notice he has his name written at the top of his paper. "Dustin Peterson."

"What about me?" He asks.

"So, did you really kill your mom?" I blurt out, clapping my hand over my mouth. Dustin scoffs and picks up his things. "Dustin, wait! That came out wrong, I'm sorry."

"Sure you are." Dustin replies.

"I'm sorry. I'm Mallory." I smile widely.

"I don't give a fuck." he replies.

"Fine. I can't even try talking to you, can I?" the bell rings, sending me on my way. He walks behind me, and speeds up, slipping something into my hand.

It's a note. And it says, "Call me, hottie." with his number at the bottom.