Chapter 3

At lunch the next day, I sit alone at the table until Jill, Matt, and Maya greeted me. "That kid, the one at the lockers yesterday, I know his name. And his number." I said.

"Wait, you actually talked to him?" Matt asked.

"Yeah. He was really mean."

"Like, how mean?" Jill asked.

"Just...rude." I sighed.

"Did you ever use the number?" Maya asked. I looker down, with the note in my hand—that I totally didn't put in my phone last night and contemplate over calling him or not—and look back at her. "You did, didn't you?"

"No, well, sort of. I put his number in my phone." I replied quietly. "I didn't see him today, in home room. Or in science class." I sit next to Matt in that class.

"Yeah, neither did I." Matt said. "Maybe you should call him."

"What? No! We're in school!" I shouted.

"Mallory." Jill said seriously. "You're seventeen. You're a senior. You've got to loosen up and stop being so uptight. Things will happen the way they happen. So, I declare we go shopping and help you fix that."

Slightly offended by her calling me uptight, I glared at her. "And how exactly is shopping going to fix my uptight problem?"

"I honestly don't know. But shopping cures everything."