Chapter 9

When we exited the building, I thanked Piper, and told her she could leave. She smiled and left, going back to Sanctuary Hills.

Deacon and I fast travelled to the Railroad headquarters.

After giving the haptic drive to Desdemonda, I tended to some burns I had from getting shot with lasers. I set all my armor on a table nearby, and looked at my mostly burnt shirt. I picked up a dish rag and soaked it in aloe and cold water, placing it on the biggest burn, which was on my shoulder. I winced as the burn made my skin crawl, and the cloth scraped it. Deacon stood by, and got a cloth for himself. He tried putting it on his back, but he couldn't hold it. It fell, and I leaned down to pick it up. I held it on his burn, and he clenched his jaw.

"It's not that bad, it's big but not too burnt. It'd be easier to heal if you took off your shirt. So I can reach the rest of the burn."

He smirked, and took the cloth from me.

"Are you sure there isn't a different reason?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"As if, Deacon. I'm just trying to help."

He grinned and pulled his shirt off, tossing it next to my armor.

I grabbed the cloth and put it on his back, then looked at the walls, the other agents, and the floor. Basically anywhere but my shirtless companion.

I held both of the cloths, the one on my shoulder, and the one on his back.

"This is what happens when you just rush in, you get shot. You're lucky it wasn't worse than it is."

He nodded.

"I'll keep that in mind."

After letting the aloe soak in, I took the rags off, and threw Deacon's shirt at him. It hit his face, and he pulled it off.

"Put this back on. I'm going to buy a new shirt before this one turns into a pile of dust."

He nodded and I walked over to Tinker Tom to buy a new shirt. After buying it, I quickly pulled it on, and walked to the table and began putting my armor back on.

"Ready to hit the road, Deacon? There's a place I wanted to go check out. It's pretty close to here."

He nodded and helped me fasten on my chest piece.

"Ready when you are, boss."

I grinned and turned to face him.

"Boss, huh? What changed?"

He shrugged.

"You really knew what you were doing back there. Not to mention being really good with that gun."

I nodded.

"Of course I know what I'm doing. Most of the time. Let's head out."

I set the destination on my Pip-Boy, and left through the church tunnels. I walked with Deacon through the tall buildings that were inhabited by super mutants and raiders. I did my best to avoid those. After about twenty minutes, I stopped, and looked at my Pip-Boy.

"We're here."

Deacon looked at the sign on the building.

"Hubris Comics. Huh. I never pegged you for the comic book type."

I grinned at him.

"I'm just full of surprises."

He nodded.

As a precaution, I pulled my gun out and crouched before pushing on the door.

The door opened with a groan and a cloud of dust and dirt.

There was a stirring from behind some of the shelves.

I aimed my gun, ready for whatever came at us.