Chapter 32

We walked through a part of the Commonwealth we  had never been in before. I constantly checked our surroundings to make sure we weren't being ambushed. We were passing through the old Cambridge area when my Pip-Boy picked up an emergency radio frequency. I tuned in and listened to the broadcast.

"This is Paladin Danse with the recon team. We are under attack at Cambridge Police Station. Send back up!"

Deacon rubbed his forehead.

"It's the Brotherhood of Steel. They're very against synths, and are violent about it. We should avoid them."

I thought.

"I should help them. It's always a good idea to have people owe you a favor. If you want, you can head to Sanctuary and wait for me there. If they're as bad as you say, then I don't want them to find out who you are."

He frowned and nodded.

"Alright. Just be careful. I don't want you to walk in bleeding and needing me to patch you up, boss. And be careful what you say or do around them."

I pulled out my gun and scoffed.

"I can handle myself in a fight, unlike you, Mr. Punch-a-Deathclaw-in-the-face. I'll see you later, Dee."

We went our separate ways. I hurried to the station, and found it was overrun with ferals. I switched to a pistol and dove behind a wall. I shot the ferals as they ran up, and pulled one off of a man in power armor. It fell to the ground, and I put several bullets in it. Another wave of feral ghouls ran in, and I used V.A.T.S. to take down as many as I could. When I ran out of ammo, I reloaded and kept firing. I was aiming as quickly as possible and kept shooting. The ghouls just kept coming. I was on the stairs to the station and shooting ghouls that got too close. When there were no more, there was a pile of wrinkled corpses around on the ground. I began my usual corpse squatting routine, ignoring the man in the power armor. He was saying something, but I wasn't listening. After I collected everything, I stood on the steps.

"Thank you for helping us get out of that. I had already lost half of my team and I don't want more casualties."

I raised an eyebrow at him. It seriously took that many of them to take down some ghouls? No wonder he needed that power armor.

"You're welcome."

He then looked a bit suspicious at me.

"Where are you from? I've never seen a civilian fight like that."

I thought about my options for answers.

"I'm from Vault 111. And I guess i just have too much too live for to let a few ghouls get in my way."

His expression changed, his eyes widened.

"You're from a Vault? Not many people would admit that. I'm impressed by your honesty."

"Uh, thanks. I think I'm going to go now."

I started to walk down the stairs.

"Wait, I have a favor to ask."

He called after me, and I stopped walking. I looked over my shoulder at him, and he had pleading eyes. I sighed and walked back to him.

"Fine. But if you want me to help you out, I'm going to need to know a few things first."

"Of course. I am Paladin Danse. Over there is Knight Rhys and Scribe Haylen. We're with the Brotherhood of Steel. We're a recon team, but half of us didn't make it. We're stranded here, since the radio signal isn't strong enough to reach the Prydwin. That's where we need your help. We have to get an important piece of tech from ArcJet Systems."

I nodded, taking in all the information. The Brotherhood of Steel would be good to have on my side, and not to piss them off.

"Alright. I'm in."

Paladin Danse nodded and looked relieved.

"Outstanding. Meet me here as soon as you're ready."

"I'm ready now, Paladin."

I stood as tall as I could and looked up at him. That suit of power armor is huge. I need it.

He nodded and took out his gun.

"Follow me, this way."

He started jogging down through an alleyway. I followed him, keeping low and on alert.

"ArcJet is further away from the station than we usually go, but in this case it's a necessity. It's a mile away, but we should get there quickly. It's staight to the west from Cambridge."

I jogged to keep up with him as we made our way to ArcJet Systems.