Chapter 9| Laura

I hiccup, and pour myself another glass of red wine. I watch in fascination as a small whirlpool form in my glass from the pouring. I giggle and raise the glass to my lips, leaning back into the sofa crease.

This is a perfect way to spend my Thursday. I woke up late, two hours late to be exact, so I haven't gone into work. It's way too much hassle to change out of my pyjama's, into my skirt suit and heels and leave the house.  

I decided to stay home, because I didn't want to deal with the hassle and the heels, and I did a little bit of cleaning. I swept and hoovered up, made Craig and Ruby's bed, got myself some cereal and then I got bored. So, I decided to have one drink.

However, that one drink turned into half of a wine bottle.

I sigh in content, crossing my legs and staring at the television. Currently, an episode of Desperate Housewives is playing. I can say one thing about this show, it's so much more enjoyable watching drunk.

"Gabriella! Go back to Carlos!" I scream drunkly at the television, worried for the characters.

"Laura! Shut the fuck up! Unlike you, I'm working!" Thomas shouts at me, and I roll my eyes sipping from my wine glass.

"I wish Carlos was my husband!" I shout to Thomas, hoping for a reaction.

"Shut up!" He simply shouts back, and I huff swirling the wine around in my glass, watching it closely. When Thomas doesn't say anything else, I place my wine glass on the coffee table and snatch the remote.

I turn up the volume, and sit back and watch more. I hear Thomas groan from his office and shut his door.

Suddenly, there's a knock on the door.

I groan, changing my position on the sofa and lying on my back. When the same knock sounds out, I roll off of the sofa. I land in the space between the coffee table and sofa, and I crawl out into the open. The carpet is soft under my fingers, and I lay still, stroking the carpet.

It's fluffy like clouds.

When the knock sounds out for the third time, I shoot up. That damn knock. Why can't the knocker take the hint?!

I stumble towards the door, almost falling over my handbag, and manage to reach the door. I grip onto the handle and swing it open, seeing a stranger on my door step. I lean against the door frame, stroking the chipped paint as I stare at the stranger.

"I don't want any flyers on Jewish culture." I slur out, swaying slightly. "So, you can leave now."

The stranger seems offended, taps his foot, his heels click against the concrete, and folds his arms.

"I'm your husband's boss." He says, his voice flat, his eyes sparkling.

I smile, lean forward and bump into Thomas' boss, wrapping my arms around him.

"Mr. Mitchell! You're looking very feminine today!" I slur, smiling. "I love your lipstick colour!"

He pushed me back, and I stumble, managing to grip onto the door frame for support.

"It's Ms. Mitchell." Ms. Mitchell says, not sounding very happy.

I feel my smile drop. "Oh. What do you want?"

"Your son is the worst boy I've ever come across." She spits, her voice laced with hate. I lean against the frame, letting her speak. "He's a horrible human! Disgusting, foul and terrible. He led my daughter on! Made my poor baby Tatiana develop feelings, and then just told her he's gay! He played with her fragile emotions! He tore out her heart, and stamped on it!"