Chapter 5

"Look out, Daffy!"

It was too late when Bugs spiked the volleyball over the net and it rushed right towards the duck-man, who'd whipped around, wide-eyed, squeaking a horrified phrase of, "Mother," before it cannoned straight into his face and knocked him right into the sand below his bare feet. Everyone within the vicinity had rushed away to keep their hot dogs and burgers sediment-free, while the rest watched the motionless, fallen, man in the sand.

"I warned yah, didn't I?" Bugs ducked underneath the net, followed by his volleyball partner, Lola, to grip his best friend by the crook of his arm and drag him up. He brushed the flecks of sand off of Daffy's shoulders before the victim ripped himself away.

"Why don't you give me a fasther headths up next time?" Daffy spat, shaking out his dark hair. Flecks of sand flew in all directions and Bugs lifted his hand to the side of his face to keep it from getting into his eyes.

The man's onset and offset girlfriend, Tina, crossed her arms over her generous chest and rolled her eyes. "Daffy, he warned you," she said in her heavy Jersey accent. "Maybe next time you shouldn't be shouting at Speedy to bring you a burger when you should have had your head in the game." She jutted out her hip and shook her head in disapproval.

There was a short pause between the couple before Daffy threw his hands up in the air and incredulously shouted, "Then what? I have needths, Tina! Should I have asked for a hot dog inthstead?Never again, not after my Misther Wiener episode, thanks very much."

"Oh brother," Bugs answered, and left the two to go at it. It was obvious that the game was over in that instant. He turned to his coworker and jerked his head towards the barbecue stand. "Come on, Lola, let's get something to eat."

"Great! Come on, the line looks long." Lola went off without him and turned back for just a split second to wave him over before running to the crowd of people waiting in front of the smoking grills.

Everyone who was at the beach, had come early because they didn't have any shoots to attend to. Back at the studio, there was a Merrie Melodies and a Roadrunner shot happening; everyone else who wasn't working or filming, was watching offset. Daffy hadn't wanted to show up at work on his day off so he dragged Tina to the store to buy her a new bikini before rushing out to the seashore. Lola was already at the beach when Bugs got here, tanning her second form under the soft sun; she had planned the decorations with Porky and had put up everything before everyone got here.

As Bugs made his way after his friend, he took a short glance around. It shouldn't be long, now, for everyone to show up. [Y/N] was already busy, even on her first week, and he couldn't stop thinking that a nice beach day would be just the thing for her to take a breather and relax. When he reached the line, a young male pushed him back and ran right through, stumbling over his own feet.

"Sorry Mr. Bunny!" Tweety shouted back, waving. He pulled up his swim trunks as he ran away from Sylvester Jr., who was looking concentrated on the game of tag they had going on. Or, at least he thought it was tag until Junior's father ran through, shouting at them to return his sunblock.

"Get back here, you little rascals!" Sylvester hollered, struggling to run on the sand on just two legs. The fact that he had skin on feet and not fur on paws, left his flesh burning on the hot sand.

Bugs watched long enough for Junior and Tweety to stop, uncap the sunblock, and squeeze all of its contents on the sand before running off with loud laughter, each waving adult-sized sandals in the air. The older male darted right on top of the slippery substance and slipped.

"Aye, niños," Speedy tutted and shook his head as he rushed up to Bugs, "They're a handful. I'm telling you, man, too much trouble." The young Latino snickered and shifted his attention back to the food. "So, what can I get for you, Señor Bugs? We got all sorts of meats grilling right now. Just give me the word."