Deep Space

"Another day, another boring sample collection" Conan thought to himself. Captain John told Conan to land the shuttle on the moon to search for samples and life sources. "Not like there's anything interesting on the moon" Conan said to John. "Well, it's the rules. I get my orders from the boss." "Who's the boss anyway?" Conan asked. "Well, nobody knows for sure, but we have to take orders from him. Now get to work." "Yes sir", Conan thought. Once he landed the shuttle, he got inside of his insulated space suit. He made sure the oxygen tanks and the insulation protector had no defects. Same with the visor. He went outside and pressed a button on the control panel. Out of a hidden part of the outer wall came a keypad. Conan typed in the code and out came a rover. "Man, Bill and Cody are lucky. They get fun jobs on the shuttle. Conan stepped into the moon rover and drove off. He had a compartment in the back with a place to store moon rock samples. He had a little monitor to detect life forms. Everything was A-Ok. But then something happened. Out of the corner of his eye, Conan saw a red light flash on his monitor. He quickly looked at it.
Nothing. "Hmm, strange. I could've sworn I saw-" A quest noise interrupted his words. But how? There's no sound in space...? He saw a figure over the horizon and then it was gone. No explanation for it, just simply gone. Conan got worried. "No sound in space, no other life forms..." He thought he was just seeing things. He thought maybe the oxygen tanks were leaking a bit, so he rushed back to the shuttle. As he walked inside, and stripped off his space suit, he heard a noise around the corner. When he went to investigate he saw Cody on the ground. He wasn't moving, so Conan checked his pulse. Barely. He ran to the defibrillators, and used them. Cody sat up and coughed vigorously. Conan had a thousand questions. "Are you ok? What happened? Where is everyone else? Are they ok?" Cody said he couldn't remember, but he noted he saw some black sludge of some sort earlier somewhere. He must've been attacked when he was reporting it to John. "John" Conan said aloud. He ran to the Captain's quarters and and saw John. He was laying on the ground and he wasn't breathing. Conan did everything he could to try and get him to breathe again, but nothing worked. John was dead. And just as he had started to go back to Cody, he heard a scream come from behind him.