The Contract

Chapter 3: The Contract

I am really going crazy... a box feeling shy? I think all these bizarre events that have been happening lately are starting to catch up to me. Maybe when that robber stole Rin's ring from my room he also took my sanity.

After messing with the stupid box for a while longer I decided to officially give up. Ben, you're going to the trash. I put Ben in my trash can for the garbage man to deal with it. I was about to close the door when one final loud click came from the box. Swiftly I spin around and find that the box was open. I automatically run over to Ben and pick it up. I rush back inside and carefully set the newly opened box on my kitchen counter. Carefully, with the precision of a bomb disabler, I fully open the box.

Inside there was some kind of cloth. Lightly touching the mysterious cloth I recognize it's soft, like the softest material I have felt in my life. The color of the cloth was a deep violent red. The color intrigued me. Red had many universal meanings like love, but also like danger. This red cloth felt like it was screaming its warning, but I'm too stubborn to listen. I slowly removed the cloth from the box. Immediately a disturbing smell enters my nose, I could smell something burning. The smell made me pause.

First, the box wouldn't open, then the warning red color of the cloth, and now a putrid burning smell. This box would bring nothing good but no matter which way I logically explained to myself that there were too many bad omens, I still wanted to open the box. It was like an itch that kept telling me I had to open it. So I proceeded forward with my plan of uncovering the insides of the mysterious Ben.

But when I went to remove the cloth and unveil its insides, a glass of water beside the box on the kitchen counter began to sizzle. A strange unseen force pushed me back away from the box. I fell back onto the floor and everything started to go black, but before my vision completely left me I felt an extreme pain in my lower left arm like if it was being crushed by a thousand pounds. I heard footsteps in my hallway and turned my head slightly to shout for help but it wasn't of any help. In my hallway, I found the man in black. I blinked not trusting my sight but with every blink, the man got closer and closer.

I used all the strength I had left to crawl towards where my cell phone had landed just a few feet away from me. As I dragged my body towards the phone I started to lose control of my body. Suddenly my body just stopped and my eyes involuntarily closed. I could feel my body going numb until the numbing sensation overtook my entire body. The last thing I felt go out was my hearing but just before I did, I heard familiar voices. My parents! It was my parent's voice. They were home and there was a dangerous box and man in our house and I am incapable of moving!

I assume soon my brain also shut off as I drifted into darkness because when the last thing I remembered was having an anxiety attack over my parents safely. Sure they didn't care about me or Gracie but they were still my parents. I had to protect them, or warn them. I had to do something. But I couldn't do anything in the darkness. When I woke up I was positioned in a chair in the kitchen with a dark blue metal pen in my hand. Confused, I looked around for any sign of what happened but there was nothing. In front of me, I saw maybe 20 pages. I must be suffering some post traumatic stress. Maybe I was drugged and robbed? But what about my parents? Did I just make that up? What the hell is going on!

On top of the stack of papers was my signature. The papers were burnt from the sides which I guess was what I smelled. I picked up the stack of papers as fast as I could and began to read through them. The first thing I read was a part that stated that I agreed. Everything else wasn't clear enough for me to read. Frustrated I throw the papers on the ground but as they reach the ground the papers turn into ashes. Black dust scatters over my kitchen before I could even piece together a logical explanation I grab my phone. I would not put up with this shit anymore! I needed professional help from the police. I was so scared that when I tried to put in the numbers to call the police I kept messing up.

Once I finally calmed down enough to successful make contact with the police I told them everything. I told them I believed I had been drugged and robbed. I really don't know exactly what I told them, but whatever it was it was big enough of a deal for them to bring practically the entire police squad with then. I heard the sirens before they even got to my house. I turned back around to the ash remains of the signed papers but they were gone. Almost as if they'd never been there. Before I could even begin to be confused and frustrated I heard loud stomping. I turned toward the directing of the stomping, my front door, but as I did the noise stopped. Suddenly the loud stomping was replaced with three sharp knocks.

I started to walk over to the door to open it, but halfway to the door, I heard someone desperately rattling the door trying to force themselves in. A loud boom sounded through the house. The door goes flying as FBI agents rush in yelling at me. One of them tackles me and handcuffed me and telling me I was under arrest for the first-degree murder of 8 victims.