[Chapter 6] - Willow

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Finally, the story is going to start getting into the WildeHopps theme! Oh, was that a spoiler?

The truck screeched to a stop at the dead end of the road.

"What's this? Where are we?" Nick asked.

Judy gripped the handle to the door and forced it open. "Follow me."

Nick got from the passenger seat and began following Judy. She walked in no path, but instead through a tall grassy area. Nick's eyes roamed, looking to see where Judy may be leading them.

As they began down a hill, Nick could hear the sound of water not far off in the distance. There was a river, surrounded by trees of willow and tall oaks.

Judy pushed the long draping leaves of a certain willow out of the way using the back of her paw. Nick followed Judy underneath the tree.

The willow grew right beside the shimmering water. Judy took a seat on the green grass, inviting Nick to sit beside her.

"When I was upset or needed a break from my family, I'd come here," said Judy, her eyes taking in the surroundings. "Not a thing has changed."

The river simmered in the late morning sunlight. Nick found himself picking at a flower while Judy was quiet.

Nick stuck his head in the air as a gust of wind blew through. It swayed the leaves of the tree and rippled the water, also making the fur on Nick and Judy bristle. Then, he lay down in the grass.

Judy looked down and saw Nick resting peacefully in the green, and decided to lay down right beside him.

"You know Carrots, I've always wondered how you managed to not go insane with how large your family was," said Nick. "But now I see- you just escape them."

Judy chuckled. "Well, maybe, but I still love them. As I said, it just gives me time to think out here."

"About what?"

"Oh-" Judy wasn't really prepared to answer. Or at least she wasn't prepared to answer to him. "Stuff."

"Very precise," said Nick, turning on his side to face Judy. She took notice and did the same.

"What is it?" she asked.

He kept his usual grin on his face. "You're eyes are really pretty today."

"You mean they aren't always?"

Nick felt himself blushing under his fur. "Uh- t-that's not what I meant-"

"Nick," Judy began with a laugh. "I know, I'm only kidding with you. I think I could say the same about your eyes." She didn't know where this was going, it seemed to be a spur of the moment type of deal, and she half expected Nick to forget what was being said and half expected him to not take it seriously.

And maybe because of this, she did something not even she expected herself to do.

While their eyes were locked, both lying on the ground, she took his collar in her paws and pulled their lips together.

Nick's eyes were wide, but slowly closed as the kiss went on. Both their hearts were racing at the sudden action, but not in a bad way. The feeling was more excited than nervous, and as they continued to kiss, that nervousness melted away.

The world stopped around them. It was just that rabbit and fox, underneath the willow, for what seemed to be a wonderful eternity.

When they finally pulled away, the emerald and violet eyes stared for a long time, half their eyelids shut. Judy's eyes looked soft, and Nick's looked pleasantly pleased.

Judy smiled and turned back over onto her back, letting out a sigh. Sometimes, actions speak louder than words. And that did apply in this situation.

At first, Judy expected Nick to forget the talk they were previously having. But now she didn't want him too. She wanted him to remember, she wanted herself to remember. Judy and Nick had been best friends for nearly two years now, and she was ready to be more than that. It wasn't until this moment that she truly discovered her love for Nick. While the feelings and emotions inside of her were confusing, one thing was clear.

She loved Nick Wilde.