[Chapter 18] - Starry Night

Nick sat on the couch with a Zbox controller in his hand. He yelled at the TV screen in front of him and cheered at his wins so much that it caused Judy to come down the stairs, rubbing her eyes.

"Nick, it's four in the morning, you need to go to bed," she insisted with a yawn.

"Wait, just one more game!"

Judy sighed and smiled, walking to the kitchen. She took a bowl from the cabinet, a box of cereal, and some milk from the fridge to make cereal. She finished and sat down beside Nick. Without even losing his focus on the TV, he reached into Judy's bowl, took her fork with a spoonful of cereal on it, plopped it into his mouth, and set it back in the bowl.

"Get your paws off, Wilde," she said, turning the bowl away from him. He simply grinned that smug little grin of his.

Hour passed, and eventually, Judy decided to show Nick how to really play video games. (Well, he went easy on her).

Finally, it reached seven in the morning. None of them were tired (which was surprising due to their long week). Nick stretched his arms high above his head and yawned. He looked over at Judy who lay against him while checking Zoostagram.

He suddenly decided that they hadn't been spending enough time together. Every time he looked at her, he loved her a little more. And today he wanted to spend with her.

"Why don't we go out today?" Nick asked.

"Where?"

"Anywhere, multiple places. The mall, out to lunch, the movies, just go around town."

Judy's ears perked up. "Yeah! Hold on, I need to go get ready!"

She hopped up from the couch but instantly stopped and clutched her stomach.

"Judy? You okay?" Nick asked as he stood up and placed a paw on her back.

"Yeah," she replied, raising up again. "Just stood up too fast. Anyways, be ready soon!" She went upstairs and changed into a white sundress tied back with a yellow belt. When she came back down the stairs, Nick kissed her on the forehead and they set off on their day.

The first thing they did was pick up breakfast. Alongside the street their apartment was on, there was a cafe specifically dedicated to serving treats for breakfast. Nick ordered blueberry pancakes and Judy ordered some carrot juice and a light salad (she was going on a diet even though Nick told her countless times that she was beautiful and it seemed unnecessary.)

By the end of their breakfast it was about 11:00. They were both very full, so they decided their lunch would be a bit late and they could have a later dinner.

Nick didn't say where he was taking Judy this time. She simply stayed quiet with an excited expression on her face as he drove through the city, passing endless buildings until eventually the car came to a rest. They were now at the city park.

Nick got out of the car first and opened up Judy's door. "M'lady," he stuck out his paw and bowed. She took it and smiled.

Paw in paw, they walked down the trail that led through the park. The grass was a lush green, the tall trees swayed in the breeze, and the warm summer sun intermingled with the light wind, making it the perfect temperature for a perfect day.

"I love you, Judy," Nick said when they came to a silence while walking. "Honestly, my life has been a thousand times better with you in it. You've helped me through hard times and allowed me to overcome the burdens I've carried since I was a kid."

"You're corny," Judy said. "But I love you all the same. And you have made my life better too, Nick. I've never felt happier before."

They stopped in the middle of the path. Nick wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her to his lips for a kiss. It lasted for a while, but when they finally pulled away, they simply smiled and continued on with their walking.

After their day in the park, they both soon realized that it was now nearing night. Nick once again took Judy out to a surprise location. This time, however, Judy realized where it was just by the crowd of people. They parked their car in a lot just outside the movie theater.

"So what movie are we going to see?" asked Judy.

"I know you've been wanting to see Fantastic Mammals since the trailer came out, so..." he held up two tickets. Judy took one of them, bounced up and squealed happily, then wrapped Nick in a tight hug (Judy was surprisingly strong for a rabbit, Nick thought).

The movie was excellent. All through it, Judy smiled and gasped and cried. Every time Nick looked over at her she had some sort of expression on her face.

After the movie Nick took Judy to one final location. Judy tried to guess where that might be, but she realized that as they drove further and further away from the city, she had no idea where they may be going. They eventually had crossed a large bridge that connected the city to the outskirts. Nick parked a little ways off the road and began leading Judy along the water's edge. Zootopia was in the center of a large lake surrounded by another landmass. So they walked further away from the road until they came upon a flat area, just beside the shore, facing the city. You could see it's bright lights and the silhouettes of the buildings far off in the distance.

Nick and Judy both laid down in the grass. They were just outside the borders of the light pollution from the city which allowed them to see the brilliantly decorated sky. Millions of stars twinkled above them and shone brightly.

Judy soon realized that Nick kept checking his watch. She decided it wasn't important and continued gazing up at the sky and talking quietly with Nick. It wasn't until Nick checked his watch one last time that he stood up with his hands in his pockets and looked over at the city. Judy stood too, just right beside him, her arms holding him tight.

Suddenly, Nick removed himself from beside her. She turned to look to see him draw his paw out of his pocket and kneel to the ground. And in his paw was a small black box.

"Judy, you have made me feel love stronger than I ever have before. You have helped me find a life that I never could have on my own. You are the reason I am who I am. I want to be with you, Judy, forever. So Ms. Hopps, will you do me the honor of becoming my mate?"

Judy's heart stopped as he opened the box to reveal a shining silver ring. But the most stunning thing about it was the jewel in the center; an amethyst, the color of Judy's eyes.

Suddenly she no longer had control of her emotions. Her tears watered and a small smile grew on her face.

"Yes," she said quietly. "Yes!" she jumped into his arms and he wrapped himself around her tightly. They pulled away and kissed, falling onto the ground and not breaking their kiss. After about a minute they both pulled away and stared dreamily into each others eyes. At that very moment, a large light soon filled the sky. They turned away to see beautiful fireworks flying high into the atmosphere and exploding into a mix of colors. Many more fireworks followed and soon it quickly became the happiest night of their lives.