Departure

"I told you it was a Slytherin who did it !"

"Thank god these two idiots are gone... I couldn't stand them"

"Dumbledore is going to receive so many death threats..."

"Did you hear that Dean almost killed Crabbe's father ?"

"Apparently Malfoy is banned from playing Quidditch ever again..."

Harry smiled to himself, ears buzzing with the excited chatter surrounding him. What happened yesterday in Dumbledore's office was supposedly top secret, so obviously the whole school knew about it, and no one even tried to look surprised when, as they sat down for breakfast, the Headmaster made the announcement that the culprits had been caught, and that everything was back in order. However, he was met with unanimous cheers and applause that made the walls of the Hall vibrate. The fact that all security measures were no longer needed was also a relief.

Malfoy hadn't come down for breakfast, and Harry didn't know whether it was because he was ashamed, grounded or because he feared that he might get assaulted by dozens of revolted students. Probably the latter. The Winchesters and Castiel weren't there either, but that wasn't very surprising. Harry knew they wanted to get away from Hogwarts and go home as quickly as possible, now that this whole situation was finally resolved ; but he wanted to see them one last time.

"Do you know where Sam and Dean are ?" he asked Hermione.

"I think I heard them discussing with McGonagall earlier, about how they were going to be repatriated. Why, is there something you need to tell them ?"

"Not really, I just want to say goodbye. Are you coming ?" he said as he stood up.

"Yes, of course !" she replied, grabbing her bag.

"I'm coming too !" Ron said, shoving a last spoonful of porridge in his mouth.

They ran into the main hallway and down the stairs, pushed the massive doors open and hopped down the soft slope covered in lush green grass, shielding their eyes from the sun with their hands. After a while they spotted the three men a few feet away : they were walking slowly behind the tiny Professor Flitwick, who was making their luggage float in the air and guided it with his wand. Without a second thought, Harry sprinted towards them.

"Hey ! Hey, wait !"

The whole group came to a halt and turned around.

"Something wrong ?" Dean asked, frowning.

"No no, everything's fine, we just wanted to... Say goodbye" Harry replied, slowing down as they arrived in front of the tall men.

"Oh... That's really nice, thank you ! It's been great meeting you all. And thank you for your help, by the way. You know, for yesterday... " Sam said with a grin.

"You're most welcome, Sir. I hope you have a safe and peaceful travel back home." Hermione replied with a radiant smile.

"Yeah, I hope so too" Dean chuckled.

"Thank you for everything you taught us. Honestly, I've never been as attentive in class as I was in yours. Those were some wicked adventures you told us about !" Ron said, eyes wide.

The brothers laughed softly, the sound quickly drowned by a loud, cheerful voice.

"Are yeh leavin' already ? Yeh didn't even say goodbye !"

Hagrid's huge figure towered over them, startling the brothers and causing them to take a step back. He smiled at the group, his black eyes shining fondly.

"T'was a pleasure havin' yeh here ! I'm glad this whole mess is finally over. Made me really mad y'know, this attack... We've never had anything like this happen at Hogwarts before, and I've been keepin' these grounds since before yeh were born !"

Sam chuckled nervously. "Thank you. It was... Nice meeting you too."

Suddenly, Castiel reached out for Hagrid's hand, which was wrapped in thick, rudimentary bandages stained with dark red blood.

"What happened to your hand ?"

"Oh that's nothing, I just cut me-self tryin' to chop down some wood Planned on goin' to the nursery this afternoon to get it cleaned up. Don't worry about it." Hagrid replied gruffly.

Ignoring the half-giant's explanations, Castiel grabbed his injured hand and held it firmly, opening his other hand slowly. Yellow light burst from his palm and Hagrid shuddered, his arm tensed. Harry heard Professor Flitwick squeal with excitement, hopping forward to watch Hagrid's hand more closely. After a few seconds, Castiel dropped his hand.

"There. It should be healed."

And indeed, when Hagrid undid his bandages, the wound was gone and his skin was clean.

Wow... That's a parting gift if I ever saw one, Harry thought.

"Thank you, Sir. Thank you so much !" Hagrid exclaimed, smiling incredulously at Castiel.

The angel nodded calmly and looked at the hunters.

"Shall we go ?"

"Yeah, yeah we probably should..." Dean muttered with an apologetic smile.

Some last goodbyes were exchanged and the little group turned away, marching towards the huge magical gate. They waved at Harry and his friends one last time, grabbed their belongings and were soon out of sight. The three students stood there in silence for a while. It had only been one week, yet they felt like they just parted ways with old friends.

Soon, the endearing sound of Hagrid's whistling was rising from the edge of the Dark Forest.

Goodbye.

A/N : Well, here it is ! This fic is finally and officially over ! Thank you so so so much to everyone who read, voted and commented, leaving me kind messages and making me laugh <3 writing this story was a lot of fun and I'm so happy I pushed myself to do it. Honestly, I never thought I'd be able to finish it :p

Now, I know I said this was the only fic I'd ever write... And it's true, I won't have the time to engage in such a long-term project again. That being said... I've been thinking about maybe trying to write a few oneshots ? I have like 4-5 ideas for cute mini-fics that I hoped I'd be able to upload, but with my main fic and the crap ton of work I keep being flooded with at university, I haven't had the time. So, I thought I'd wait until next year (2017 isn't that far after all !) to see if I'm still motivated enough to do it. Let me know what you think about it in the comments ! :D