Chapter 12 ~ Dancing in a Little Girl's Room

Note: *SPOILERS FOR TWD 7X01* Okay, so...I watched last night's episode of Walking Dead and I'm just...totally devastated right now... :"(  I can't believe my precious baby Glenn is gone!! :"( He didn't deserve that fate...my poor little angel...oh, gosh, I'm way too emotional right now... I'm not upset that Abraham died. I mean, I kind of predicted that already and he wasn't a favorite of mine but still...it was such a gruesome and terrible end for both of them :( All I can say is that NEGAN DESERVES DEATH!!!!!!!! >:( Okay, enough of my emotional breakdown...on to the chapter!

I must have fallen asleep sometime on the trip because I awoke, snuggled up in Owen's arms in the back of the truck. The warmth of his embrace radiated through me. I was confused for a second before I realized that he must have moved me back here and come to the back himself. Looking around, I saw there were various other Wolves around us asleep as well. I tilted my head up to look into Owen's face and noticed he was asleep. I smiled and traced my fingers along his jawline.

He looked like such an angel when he slept - so innocent, so pure... I bit my lip and ran my fingers down to his neck. His shark-tooth necklace hung there and I caught it in my hand. At first glance, you could only see the jagged edges but I was surprised to find that up close, it was smooth. Just like Owen, I thought to myself with a wry smile etched on my face. I was glad I'd met him though.

For the first time in a long time, I felt happy. I felt safe. And it was all thanks to Owen. I was finally starting to feel like myself again...the person I had been before this stupid apocalypse began. Of course I was still scared of getting hurt. One of the downsides of being abandoned by your father, I suppose...

But slowly, it was getting better. He was breaking down the walls I'd put up around my heart. Lying down once more, I rested my head on his chest. His arms wrapped tighter around me and I heard him sigh. Smiling to myself, I closed my eyes. Before I knew it, I'd drifted back to sleep.

Several hours later, I was awoken by the clang of the metal door on the back of the truck opening. Bright sunlight filtered in and I grimaced, snuggling deeper into Owen's faded black t-shirt. Suddenly, I heard him chuckle. Squinting from the sun, I glanced up into his face to see him grinning down at me.

"Awake now, Sleeping Beauty?" he teased and I blushed scarlet.

I moved away from him and he sat up. He held out his hand to pull me up and I took it. I blinked a few times, trying to wake myself up as the Wolves climbed out of the vehicle. Owen got out as well before helping me down. Glancing around, I noticed that we seemed to be at some abandoned house. It was a small blue building with overgrown grass surrounding it.

Owen went in first to check it out and the others followed close behind. I walked behind Owen, keeping an eye out for any Walkers that may be nearby. Everyone spread out and Owen and I trudged through the living room. Once we deemed it all clear, we moved into the kitchen. It looked like your everyday kitchen except for the blood splatters on the tile. I swallowed and he pulled out his knife.

Suddenly, we heard a scratching sound coming from the pantry door. Slowly, he walked over to it, holding his knife high above his head. Yanking the door open, we came face-to-face with a walker. Apparently, he had tried to hang himself because the noose was still wrapped tightly around his neck. Owen stabbed it in the head and it went limp.

"I'll go check out the other rooms," I said and he nodded in response.

"Take this with you, though." he said, pulling out a knife and handing it to me.

I smiled at his protectiveness and took it from him before walking out of the kitchen and down the narrow hallway. Crooked picture frames dotted the walls surrounding me. Most of them bored me - after all, I didn't know the family that had lived here. But one picture stuck out to me. It was a woman holding a small baby in her arms. She was smiling widely but she was alone - just her and the baby.

Her hair was long and dark, reminding me instantly of my own mother, Mandy. She had been on her own, too. For a long time, it was just me and her. Before she'd met my step-dad, of course. He had been a kind man but I'd always felt like something was missing. I hadn't been his child, after all.

And because of that, I'd always felt like an outsider with him. I always felt like we'd been acquaintances...not family. Not like how I felt about my mom. Mom. Tears pricked my eyes as I traced the face of the woman in the portrait. How many months had it been since she'd died? It was hard to keep up with days ever since this outbreak had started...

Shaking the thoughts away, I wiped my eyes and moved on down the hall. It was no time to get sentimental. Crying about it wouldn't bring her back. It wouldn't change the past. When I finally came to the end of the hall, I stopped in the doorway of one of the rooms. From the looks of it, it had been a little girl's bedroom.

Much like my own had been in days long gone. My Converse made no noise as they tread over the bubblegum pink carpet. Smiling sadly, I ran my hands over the twin bed in the corner. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a CD player sitting on the dresser. I walked over to it and turned it on before pushing the 'Play' button. A guitar riff filled up the room and I grinned as the start of 'Monsoon' by Tokio Hotel began to play.

I bit my lip and started to sway to the music.

"I'm staring at a broken door, there's nothing left here anymore," Bill Kaulitz sang, "There's nothing left here anymore..."

I closed my eyes and let the music drown out the rest of my thoughts.

"I've been waiting here so long...but now the moment seems to have come," I sang along, "I see the dark clouds coming up again..."

Just as the chorus started, someone grabbed me by the waist from behind and spun me around to face them.

"Running through the monsoon, beyond the world, to the end of time, where the rain won't hurt, " Owen sang and I laughed.

"Fighting the storm, into the blue, and when I lose myself, I think of you," I continued, smiling as we danced across the room.

"Together we'll be running somewhere new..." Owen sang, resting his forehead on mine.

"Through the monsoon..." I sang, smiling.

"Just me and you..." he finished.

His lips connected with mine then and I melted into the kiss. Those rose-petal lips glided over mine sweetly and then pulled away. My eyes fluttered open to see Owen beaming down at me.

"I didn't know you were a Tokio Hotel fan," he smirked and I rolled my eyes.

"Back when I was 12..." I shrugged, laughing slightly before Owen pulled me in for another kiss.