Chapter 23 ~ It Ends Tonight

Owen fought off the walkers as we went. Not once did I let go of him. I couldn't. I felt like if I let go of his hand, I'd lose him forever. Finally, we reached a house and hurried up the steps, Denise closing it firmly behind us. Owen just stood there in the darkness of the room, a dazed expression on his face.

Tears pricked my eyes at the thought of losing him. I couldn't. I just couldn't. I'd lost so many people already, I'd die if I lost him, too.

"The infirmary's right across the alley. We need to get you there now!" Denise told him, tugging his belt loose from around his waist.

Owen just stood there, not listening. He seemed far away from reality, like he was in shock. Denise wrapped the belt tightly around his wound, binding it.

"Hey!" she tried to get his attention but he just ignored her.

She turned to look at me.

"You need to talk to him. He needs to come with me right now or he won't make it," she said seriously.

I nodded and stepped in front of Owen. Gently, I reached out and held his face in my hands.

"Owen, please, you have to listen to me. We have to get you to the infirmary right now!" I told him, my voice almost breaking.

His cocoa-brown eyes gazed into mine, that far-away expression still etched on his features.

"The ladder was clear. Could've made it," he said dazedly.

"You turned back for me," I said and this time my voice cracked on the last word.

"Maybe it was because he needed a doctor..." Denise murmured, tying up the end of the belt.

"Or maybe he changed..." I said honestly, my eyes locked on his.

"I couldn't...I couldn't leave you... No matter what I've done in the past to other people I've met...I couldn't do it to you...,"he said softly, his hands resting on my waist.

The hot tears that were filling my eyes suddenly spilled over my cheeks and I hiccuped.

"It's my fault! It's all my fault! It wouldn't have bit you if it wasn't for me-" I started, choking on my words.

He shushed me, his slender fingers caressing my face gently.

"No, baby, it's not. None of this is your fault. I chose to do it. Whatever happens from here on out is not your fault. None of it, understand?" he told me solemnly, his cocoa-brown eyes capturing mine.

I nodded my head.

"I love you, Angel...I love you so much," he said softly.

"I l-love you, too." I sobbed loudly.

He pulled me into his strong arms then and I buried my head in his faded black t-shirt, my own arms wrapping around his torso. I loved him so much and I needed him in my life. Not just now but for always. I needed him here with me. Denise had to save him. She just had to.

"You ready?" Denise suddenly interrupted us.

We reluctantly broke apart and I gazed up at him. Owen nodded his head slightly and Denise pushed the button that opened the garage door that led outside. The loud snarls of walkers filled our ears, the only sound to be heard in the inky darkness. We ran outside, Owen pushing the walkers out of our way as we went. One of the walkers grabbed me but I shoved it away.

"Come on!" Owen shouted to us amid the clamor.

Suddenly, two gunshots rang out in the air, the bullets piercing Owen's chest. He gaped, looking down at the holes in his t-shirt.

"NO!" I cried out as blood began to drip from his wounds.

I glanced up just in time to see the woman that Morgan had knocked unconscious earlier. She held a gun in her hand, pointed at Owen. She had shot him!

"Go! Go!" she shouted to Denise.

Denise looked at the woman in shock before glancing back to me. Just then, Owen tackled one of the walkers that was coming closer to us. Walkers immediately began to swarm around him.

"GO!" he called after us.

"NO! NO!" I cried out in horror.

This couldn't be happening. Oh my gosh, no, no, no. Please, no. This couldn't be happening! Denise pulled on my arm forcefully and pushed me towards the infirmary up ahead. I wrestled in her grasp as tears poured down my cheeks.

"NO! NO! NO! OWEN! NO!" I sobbed hysterically, trying to pull free.

Everything seemed to be in slow-motion then. I heard the walkers snarl and Owen cry out as they bit down into his flesh, slowly ripping him apart. Blood splattered on the ground around the walkers as Denise continued to propel me down the street.

"NO! PLEASE, NO! OWEN! OWEN!!!" I wailed.

Flashbacks came at me fast - all the moments we had shared together: when he kidnapped me, arguing over fruit in the street, our first kiss, dancing to a Tokio Hotel song... All of it came back in flashes.

He was silent then and I glanced up at him. His cocoa-brown eyes gazed over at me. There was an emotion there that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I love you, Angel Dixon," he said, his voice warm and soft.

My heart skipped a beat and I felt the air leave my lungs. Those three words I had been waiting to hear what felt like forever and he'd finally said them. He waited for my response but I felt like I couldn't breathe. Owen...loved me. He really loved me.

"I love you, too, Owen," I breathed out, my voice shaky.

His eyes lit up and a smile spread across his face. Immediately, he crashed his lips against mine. It was more intoxicating than usual, just knowing that the man I loved actually loved me back.

My cries started to attract attention as we ran. But I couldn't stop crying. It felt like someone had stabbed a knife through my heart and it kept twisting around. The ache that had formed in my chest was unbearable. I looked back as we sprinted across the grass, tears blurring my eyes as I took one last look at Owen's body. The sound of walkers faded away in the distance as we got farther and farther away from them...from him.

The door to the infirmary swung open and a group of people ushered us inside. They talked to Denise and I heard one of them ask "Who is she?" but their words barely registered. I couldn't hear anything but his screams resounding in my ears. All I could see was his blood that had splattered on the pavement. I felt numb as I stood there, my cheeks wet with tears. The love of my life was dead.

Owen was dead.