Chapter 17 ~ Attacked By A Stick

A middle-aged African-American man stopped in the doorway. He held a a Bo Staff in both hands. There was a moment of silence as I waited with baited breath when out of the corner of my eye, I saw Owen lunge towards the man with his sickle. He slammed it into the door-frame and the man jumped back. The man hit Owen with his staff and pushed him up against the wall.

"Owen!" I cried out, crawling out of my hiding place.

The man looked over at me in surprise. That was all the opening Owen needed and he took it. Jerking away from him, he shoved the man forward until they both fell on top of the coffee-table with a loud crash. I gasped and put a hand over my mouth as I took in the scene before me. This was madness! Owen rolled to one side as the man tried to lift himself up from the floor.

He kneed him in the face and the man went down with a groan. Then Owen climbed on top of him and began to punch him repeatedly.

"Owen!" I yelled, "Stop it! Stop it!"

Just when I thought he was going to kill him, the man took a hold of Owen's t-shirt and punched him in the face. He rolled away from him then and I hoped it was over.

"Owen, look out!" I shouted just as the man got up from the floor.

He panted, glancing at me a moment before looking back to my boyfriend. Owen's dark tangled hair hung in his face and I noticed then that his mouth was covered in blood where the man had hit him. A bewildered expression crossed his face as he stared at the man.

"You can't, can you?" he asked him, the blood trickling down his lips.

The man breathed heavily, still watching him and Owen made a face.

"You should've!" he sneered before running towards him.

I gasped again and ran to his defense, grabbing the knife from where I had left it on the couch. Suddenly, the man picked up his Bo Staff once more and slammed it into Owen's back. He hit a portrait on the wall and it shattered on him as he fell to the floor. Owen panted for only a fraction of a second before getting up and charging the man again. He smacked him with the Bo Staff another time and this time, Owen stayed on the ground. I ran over and waved my knife at the man.

"Stop this! Or I will kill you!" I threatened, standing over my boyfriend protectively.

"I'm sorry." the man said remorsefully and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

Just as the words left his mouth, he swung his staff towards Owen and brought it down with a loud crack!

"Owen!" I shouted, falling to my knees beside him.

Turning his face to me, I realized the man had only knocked him unconscious. I glared up at him.

"I won't let you kill him!" I snarled, my tone becoming venomous.

"I don't plan to." he said, his voice calm even though he was bleeding from a cut to his face.

I breathed deeply, my hands still placed over Owen defensively.

"Then what are you going to do to us?" I asked, my eyes hard.

He sighed softly and raised his Bo Staff. I knew what was coming next but I didn't flinch as the staff came down across my head with a resounding smack!