#Freedom

I had brought my clothes from Puneet's house. We had signed the divorce papers and it was a mutual agreement.

That's all you need to be free don't you?Am I right or am I right?

At Least I assumed it would be so. But convincing your parents that you want a divorce is a task in itself. Especially when you are newly married and Indian.

In the society that I live, a divorce doesn't affect just you and your partner. It affects your entire family. People start questioning parents' upbringing and the girls character.In the eyes of the society, mostly it is the girl's fault.

But I had to start somewhere. So I started with my mother. She didn't agree with what I said. She just gave me the same old speech. We adjusted, you too have to.

My dad was in complete denial. He didn't think I would take such a decision. He thought that he'll somehow manage to convince me to stay with him.

It wasn't that they weren't bad parents. It was just that they were Indian. Besides society needed a huge reason. Like an abusive husband or an unfaithful one. Some even managed to stay married after that. Not me.

I didn't care about the society. I cared about what my parents thought. So I sent them to take my belongings from his house.

When they went there, he said that his parents weren't home and he couldn't give anything back to them till they didn't come back. It didn't make any sense, neither did he.

Nevertheless, he argued with my parents for like an hour and still didn't give back my clothes.

My parents saw his behavior then and they had somewhat seen it in my wedding too. So half heartedly they agreed.

I thought maybe now I had won my battle.

That was till I saw my parents crying. My mother would spent days crying alone. Wondering how such a thing could happen to her own daughter. Sometimes she blamed me, sometimes she blamed him. I knew she'd never send me back to his house. Nor would she agree if I willingly did. But it pained her. She worried who I'd marry now.

My sister just asked whether I'd marry a guy with a kid if he would accept me just the way I was. I said why not.

Again my mother started crying, cursing Puneet. I am her twenty four year old daughter after all. How could she bear the thought of something like that happening to me?

***
Yes, I was free to pursue my dreams. I was free to talk to my friends. I was free to party. Free to live where I want. Free to wear whatever I want.

But at what price?

Author's note:

Last chapter guys. This is it.Priyanka and Puneets story ends here. Still epilogue is left.