The Innkeeper's Daughter - A Short Story by @Dearest_Writer

1823, Winter – England

He arrived with the western winds and the thunderous storm trailing behind him like a black omen waiting to be fulfilled. He looked like death upon the horse as he strolled to a halt in front of the house; his voice booming the name of my father. Chills shivered down my spine as I watched the man through the parlor window in shock and amazement.

"Go in the kitchen, Lilly." My mother rushed down the stairs, strapping her boots as I helped her put on her long coat. "You need not see what will happen next." The wind was fierce as she opened the door. With one hand on her face and the other gripping the door as for dear life, she pushed herself out into the fierce storm. I stood my ground as I watched the interaction from the window. My mother's voice was mute against the ravenous winds and the beating rain. I couldn't understand what they were saying. The dark trees quivered in the wind, the cold midnight air seeping into the very crevices and cracks of the inn. The flash of lightning brightened the land for only a second but just enough for me to get a glance at the man

I hurried into the kitchen as the door slammed open once again with a force so fierce it shock the windows. I could hear thumping of feet and the scrapping of a chair moving. I jolted upright from the fire stove for I felt a chill tingling the back of my neck.

"It's good to see you again, John." My mother's voice pierced through my imaginative thoughts. I crept to the partially open door, peering into the parlor where the strange man and my mother sat. His face was dark and mysterious through the soft flames from the candles and the fire. A scar ran from the top of his right eye, curving on the cheekbones and into the bottom of his ear. The very image sent shivers down my spine. But what petrified me the most was his piercing blue eyes. What deep and dark mysteries have those eyes held upon? What demons plagued his thoughts?

"Where is Robert?" Such a simple question broke my heart in half.

"Gone. Dead. Long time ago. I'd say going on two years now." My mother's reply was cool, unabashed by the question. The man nodded in understanding. His gazed shifted around the room. "Why are you here, John? It's been a long time."

"Where is Robert?" Such a simple question broke my heart in half.

"Gone. Dead. Long time ago. I'd say going on two years now." My mother's reply was cool, unabashed by the question. The man nodded in understanding. His gazed shifted around the room. "Why are you here, John? It's been a long time."

"I came to see him. Catch up on old times. I thought we'd spend the night drinking and celebrating." His voice was hoarse. "You see, I've taken a home. The one by the Sepulchure hills and the Woeful cliffs." He proceeds to pull out a slip of paper; the deed to the house. "Won it from cards back in February. I've been meaning to back here and see for myself the conditions of the house but I've been busy. The sea calls for me you see and when she calls I must answer her."

"Lilly! Tea and bread please." My mother's voice echoed in the now quiet room. I almost burned and cut my fingers as I tried to place the hot water from the fire to the cups and slice the breads. I took a deep breath as I re-entered the parlor with the tray of food. I placed it on the table. He gently grabbed my hand.

"You must be Lilly, the little witch. Your father talked so much about you. Are you really a genius in disguise? An alchemist and scientist? The spells you cast are much desired. Tell me, what is your method? Do you send particle spirits and beast from other planes across the seven seas to your victims?" He smirked at his own remark. I was now not feeling fear within me but a certain type of anger, a seeping rage that was boiling inside. The audacity of this man. To even mock a witch is to set upon one's self an enemy.