A Wolves Treat - A Short Story by @ChristopherArmstron8

They were waiting long before anyone could hear the sirens blaring. Even though the hospital did have an ER, there were rarely cases such as the one that the ambulance brought that demanded the attention of the full contingent of hospital staff. Cases like the incident whose victims were being brought to the hospital simply could not be predicted. Their severity though, determined how much caution the hospital staff had to use so that no one got hurt.

Medical personnel surrounded the ambulance as they waited for the victims to be brought out. Few people knew the exact details, and by the time everyone learned the truth, it would be too late. Most hospital staff were used to being left in the dark, and so waited patiently for the ambulance to pull down the drive and park.

Shortly the vehicle in question arrived and halted its frantic wailing, before two people both in bad shape, were brought out on stretchers. While hospital staff checked on the work that the Emergency Response Unit had done to keep the pair alive, the head doctor questioned them as to get a clearer view of the situation at hand.

As the story went, the young man had been hiking when a wolf as he claimed before passing out, had attacked him. Somehow while he was being chewed on, he had pulled out a pistol he carried and shot the wolf multiple times.

Instead of a wolf though, EMS had found a young woman. During the time that she was being rushed through the ER on her way to the surgical center of the hospital, people could hear the nurse saying, "Young caucasian female with multiple gunshot wounds. Needs immediate blood work and surgery."

This loud and clear assessment of the women faded from people's ears as the young woman along with the nurse and the surgeon on call took her behind the blacked out windows pf the surgical center. At the same time that this was happening, the young hiker was bound up with gauze and bandages along with being given a morphine drip. Just to be safe and thorough should complications arise, his blood was taken and brought to the lab for analysis. This and subsequently the woman's blood would be the biggest part of the whole mystery.

Ironically the newest and most inexperienced of the hospital staff had been at the ER that day, and so they had to call in a old time favorite who had worked at the hospital for nigh on forty years, when they could not understand what was wrong with the blood samples. Jenkins as he was called had seen everything in his time spent in the hospital and as a combat medic before that. Even so, he was shocked when one of the young newly certified doctors told him the unique events and that they did not understand what they were seeing in the blood samples.

Jenkins being disappointed with the young doctor had sat down at the microscope and spent fifteen minutes examining it and jotting notes on a piece of paper. With each minute that passed, his face became paler and paler like he was seeing a ghost. This scared the young doctor, for people like Jenkins did not go pale for just anything. They especially did not demand for both of the patients to be put into isolation units and to call the CDC for nothing.

Everyone began to scramble around as Jenkins directed them to complete a complex but necessary series of tasks involving the two patients. No one stopped to question him even when Jenkins stated that the hiker needed blood drawn every hour. In situations like this, whoever was giving the orders knew what needed to be done and even if not, everyone in town had been fixed up by Jenkins and so trusted him.