Two

I woke in a dark, musty scented room. The smell was so strong and to me it was absolutely putrid. I began to feel faint and it seemed I couldn't remember anything. All of a sudden memories came flooding back to me. Teacups, hats, rabbits, cats with smiles and smiles without cats. I found it hard to believe I was alive. I felt like I could turn into Sleeping Beauty and sleep for a hundred years.

I heard voices coming from a room just beyond an invisible door. I strained my eyes in hope of maybe finding the outline of a seemingly non-existent door. Oddly enough I found it only to discover it was locked. I fidgeted with the handle just incase but my struggle was in vain. The door wouldn't budge.

I put my back on the wall next to the very annoying door and slid down to the floor. All of a sudden the bright lights came on. I sat there for a few moments dazed and confused pondering the reasons for the sudden change of brightness. I stood up and saw that I had flicked on the light by accident. I looked around the room, hoping that maybe I could find something to make my exit much simpler. My eyes landed on a golden key across the room. The key was beautifully engraved with swirling patterns and a few flowers. It looked like it was made of solid gold.

I wandered over to the key and held it in my hand. I studied it, attempting to see if it would work. Sadly, I have no experience in such matters so I decided it was worth a try. I walked back towards the door and placed the key into the keyhole. I twisted the key around in the keyhole and was rewarded with a small click. I opened the door cautiously and looked around to ensure that the sources of the voices I heard earlier were no longer present. Thankfully they were not.

I stepped out of the room and onto the floor in what seemed to be an upstairs foyer. The floor suddenly disappeared from beneath my feet. I screamed in terror and excitement as I found myself falling deeper and deeper. There were all sorts of things in that seemingly endless hole. Books, furniture and a variety of different items littered the sides and seemed to be suspended in the air.

I grabbed a book as I fell past one of the many walnut-wood bookshelves. It was blue like the ocean on a clear summers day and along the top and the side of the book were the words Alice in Wonderland. They were beautifully printed in gold. The name of the book was vaguely familiar but I couldn't remember where I had heard the name before. I slipped the beautiful book onto the next bookshelf I fell past.

" I wonder if I shall keep falling forever." I thought out loud.

Almost immediately after those words had left my mouth I saw a small sliver of light. The items of furniture had become less cluttered and the arrays of books on bookshelves became less frequent. I began to panic. I could tell the end of my fall was coming to an end but I wasn't slowing down at all. I attempted to claw onto some of the remaining furniture but it was useless.

I landed on the cold, hard, concrete floor in a heap. Surprisingly I wasn't injured at all. I caught sight of the man with the large hat from earlier walking towards me.

" I see you found the new and improved rabbit hole." he commented.

I was confused just slightly. I could remember falling down an enormous hole but I couldn't remember anything about a rabbit being involved. My face must have been confused because the man chuckled softly.

" So you weren't led by a white rabbit." he stated to assure himself more than anything.

-------------
Hi guys!
Sorry it took so long for me to update.
Please vote for this story if you are enjoying it.
Stay awesome! 😃
-Micky