CHAPTER 7: HENLEY

I glanced over my shoulder at Lucas whose eyes were narrowed in my direction. I smiled, looking back down at the napkin. This is the first time a guy had ever given me his number, and even if he was just showing me how easy it was to play the game, it felt good. "Milo Cooper," I read aloud. "Thanks, Milo. I'm Henley, by the way." Slipping the paper in my pocket, I glanced over my shoulder at Lucas. "I should probably get back over there before they start mating on your table."

"Much appreciated

"Much appreciated. Those things are expensive to re-felt."

I placed my money on the bar and made my way back to Lucas, who was staring at Payton's ass as she was making her way back to her friends.

"Thanks," he said, grabbing the beer and taking a drink.

"Making friends?" I gestured to the girls as I took a sip from my bottle.

"I'm a people person." He smiled, and I rolled my eyes, lining up my next shot. "Looks like you made a new friend too. A bartender. Way to aim high."

"What? Milo? I've known him for years. We screw in the back, and he helps pay for my textbooks."

Lucas' eyes went wide, and his jaw slack as I let out a giggle. "Now who's the gullible one?" I asked as I walked by him to line up my next shot.

"Funny."

"There's nothing wrong with being a bartender

"There's nothing wrong with being a bartender. It's honest work." My eyes cut to him. "Since when is having a job a bad thing?"

"First of all, I have a job. And second, he's old. Do you have some unresolved daddy issues I should be aware of? Because I can work with that. I'm not above giving a good spanking."

I scratched, sending the cue ball rolling across the green felt before bouncing off the side of the table. "You are so much prettier when you don't speak," I quipped.

"Aww, you think I'm pretty," he chuckled as he tipped the beer to his lips. "I think you're pretty too. Glad we could finally agree on something."

I rolled my eyes as he bent over to take his shot. I tried to avoid the girls at the table, but I could hear them giggling and talking about Lucas wasting his time with someone like me. It was pulling me out of the game and soon I wasn't able to land any of my shots.