Chapter 19: HENLEY

It had been a week since I'd stormed out of the pizza shop. Lucas hasn't spoken to me since that night, not that I could blame him. I was lucky that Gigi didn't pressure me into explaining why I'd left so upset because it was getting harder to hide my growing frustration with life back home. But today was a fresh start, and with an income, at least now I could worry a little less and refocus my attention on school.

I showed up to the bar before seven, my fingers shaking. As soon as I walked through the door, my eyes cut to Lucas who was sitting in a booth with Noah as they picked at a plate full of mozzarella sticks and sipped at bottles of beer.

Lucas nodded in my direction, and I smiled nervously as Noah glanced at me over his shoulder, shaking his head before taking a sip of his drink. I had no idea why that guy didn't like me, but it was beginning to get under my skin.

 I had no idea why that guy didn't like me, but it was beginning to get under my skin

Swallowing back my jitters, I made a beeline for their table. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Came to wish you luck on your first day," Lucas replied, but his eyes were still on his bottle. "I'll be on my best behavior," he promised, finally glancing up at me with red-rimmed eyes that made the blue pop even more than usual. He'd clearly been over served and the night was just beginning.

"Thanks. I should get back there, so Milo doesn't think I'm late." I hurried toward the bar, hesitating before I stepped behind the wooden top into the forbidden area that patrons were not allowed to go.

Milo came out through a swinging door and smiled broadly when he noticed me, but his face quickly became unreadable.

"I didn't think you were going to show," he quipped as he grabbed a small black apron and tossed it to me. I quickly looped the strings around my waist, tying it off in the front with a bow.

"I told you I needed this job," I added before pushing a few flyaway hairs from my face. "I forgot to ask what to wear." I looked down at my basic white t-shirt and dark wash jeans.

"You look fine," he replied with a clipped tone, his southern drawl even more prominent. Great, he's mad at me too.

"So what do you need me to do?" I asked as I looked out over the small crowd in the bar. It wasn't as packed as Filly's, but there were more locals mixed in with the students.