Chapter 20: LUCAS

I watched as Henley walked away from me before I turned and stalked off in the opposite direction, unsteady on my feet with rage and alcohol fueling me. Who the hell did she think she was?

Stumbling down the sidewalk, I slipped back inside of Dive Bar.

"I thought you had to take that wet blanket home," Payton said with a laugh as I walked by her, ignoring her ignorant comment and making my way to the bar. Milo eyed me for a moment as he ran a damp rag over the top of the bar.

"Shot," I mumbled as I pulled a twenty from my back pocket and slapped it on the damp surface, causing the cash to stick.

"Don't you think you've had enough?" He asked eyebrow cocked.

"What? You worried about my wellbeing, grandpa?"

"I'm only twenty-five, you prick." He laughed, shaking his head as he looked to Payton and back to me. "I don't know why someone like Henley hangs out with you."

"Me either," I replied with a groan, turning around to watch Payton bend over the pool table to take a shot. Her eyes had met mine before my gaze dipped to the fabric of her shirt that was hanging low, revealing the tattoo I'd done for her between her tits.

"She's got a nice ass. Here," Milo called from behind me as he sat a bottle of Jack down with a shot glass. "Last one, then you need to go crawl back into that hole you came out of." He turned back to the lemons he had been cutting into wedges behind him.

"That's not a nice way to talk about my mum," I snorted at my own joke as I grabbed the bottle and tipped it to my lips, not bothering with the glass. The liquor burned its way down to my stomach as it sloshed and churned with all of the beer I'd drank.

"Wanna play with me?" Payton asked from across the room as her friends said their goodbyes to her.

Shoving from my stool, I sauntered across the empty room, leaning in close to her. "Nope." I drank down what was left in the bottle before I tossed it in a bin beside the door, and it landed in the empty bag with a thud because Henley had just replaced it before her shift ended. Henley. She thinks I'm not good enough for her. She's probably right.