Chapter 27

"Are you sure it's okay for you to go home?" Ward asks.

I pull my hoodie over my head and slip my arms in as I step out of Zeke's room. I paint on a small smile. I haven't told Ward my exact plan, only that I need to go home but my dad has confiscated my cars.

"Of course it is." I say.

Ward walks ahead, me trailing behind him as we turn around corners to the entrance. This is the second to last time I am going to walk out of here. The plain black car is parked in the basement of the hospital, we have to walk down a set of concrete stairs to get here. I climb into the passenger side and Ward pulls out.

The last time I was with Ward in a car was the hotel incident. The hotel. All of the people. I squeeze my eyes tight, trying to block out the spinning list of names. When I blink, blinding lights hit my eyes and I can't stop gasping for breath.

"Skye? Are you okay?" Ward questions, his eyes darting fro me to the road.

"I gotta get out. Pull over." I gasp.

"I can't, Skye. There's nowhere to pull over."

"I can't. Please. I feel claustraphobic. I have to get out." I admit.

I run my hands over my face and neck, trying to calm myself but it doesn't work. I slam my palms on the car windows, trying to open the door.

Ward swerves suddenly, sharply stopping by the kerb. I yank on the seatbelt but it doesn't move.

"I can't get out!" I shout, buzzing ringing in my ears and I can hear the faint clock ticking.

"Calm down. Press the button." Ward panics, his hands brushing mine to help.

Leaning my head back in the seat, I try to take deep breaths but they quicken and turn jagged. Ward finally presses the button and Im free. I push the car door open and race outside.

The morning breeze hits me like a shower, it runs through my hair and cools my skin. I take deep breaths of the air, slowly. Turning on my toes, I sit on the edge of the kerb behind the car and pull my knees to my chest, leaning back slightly to take in more air. My skin turns less clammy and I begin to calm down.

"Skye?"

I glance over my right shoulder to see Ward crouched down, leaning his hand on the car to hold himself up, like a stranger would approach a child. His eyes scan me, searching for a reaction. I nod slowly, ignoring the tears on my cheeks. Gradually, Ward sits beside me on the edge of the pavement.

"Are you okay?"

"I think I had an anxiety attack." I whisper.

"You can get medication for that." Ward points out.

"I should get some. On the night before the bomb, I saw someone in our bedroom. I couldn't stop crying and in the morning Zeke drove to S.H.I.E.L.D and he was so angry because I kept him up at night. Then I noticed he'd stopped taking his anger medication. I was so scared of him causing an accident in the car that I forced him to pull over. He was full of anger and I was petrified of him." I explain, realising at the end that Ward didn't ask about that. But, it feels great to finally get my feelings out.

"It's okay, Skye. It's all over now." Ward whispers. I look up and see honesty sparkle in his eyes. Zeke promised that. Before the bomb was planted on me.

"Thanks." I force a smile.

"Do you want to stay here or are you ready to go home?"

"Home please."

Ward stands up slowly, rubbing the specks of dirt off his black jeans. He offers his hand to me. I clasp my hand with his and he pulls me to my feet.