Chapter 34

Hands clutch my shoulders, shaking me violently. My head joins and my mind spins as they shake me faster, more desperately. Instantly sitting up, I pull the gun from under my pillow and raise it to the figures, pulling the clip back. They step backwards. Hands up in innocence.

"Skye, it's Cap and Ward. Put the gun down." Captain orders, his eyes running over me with fear. Like Zeke's did.

Dropping the gun, I jump onto my feet and wrap my arms around Captain's neck, clutching him close and not letting go. Tears trickle down my damp cheeks and land on the back of Captain's white t-shirt as I hide my face against his neck.

"It's okay, Skye. It was only a nightmare." Captain whispers, placing one of his hands calmly on the back of my head and the only on my back, holding me against him safely.

Watching over his shoulder, Ward walks out of my room and turns his head around the door.

"She just had a nightmare, you can all go." Ward orders, waving them away and he comes back into the room, closing the door again. I notice him slip his gun into the back of his black jeans.

"I'm sorry for waking everyone." I apologise.

"It's not your fault." Captain reassures, pulling me tighter against him.

After a few minutes, I pull away from Cap and wipe my flowing tears of my cheeks. I see tears swim in Captain's eyes and Ward forces himself to look away from me. Cap places his hands on my shoulders, they shake slightly until he gains control of himself.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his fingertips brushing my damp cheeks.

"Yep. I'm fine." I grumble.

"Don't lie to me."

"Okay. I'm not fine." I mutter.

"I think the whole of S.H.I.E.L.D knows you are not fine...now." He admits. I bow my head.

"Was I screaming?"

"Yes." Ward answers.

"I can't help it. They're so real and bloody. Do you see now why I hate sleeping?"

"Yes."

"You can go now. I'm gonna bury myself in a coffin and get it over with." I joke, painting on a fake smile.

"I'll stay with you just to make sure." Captain offers.

"I'm supposed to be on duty. Are you sure you are okay, Skye?" Ward questions.

"Yes, Agent Ward. Thank you." I smile.

He smiles back and waves, walking to the door and closing it as he goes. But there's no locking it as I notice they broke the lock to get in. Sitting on the edge of the bed, Captain finds the bottle of vodka in my fridge and pours me a glass. Taking it from him, I quickly down it to stop him seeing my hands shake. He sits beside me and I lean my head on his shoulder, I feel his arm wrap around my waist and his hand rest on my left hip.

"I'm sorry there isn't anything we can do to help you, Skye." Captain whispers.

"It's not your fault. It's no ones fault." I mumble.

"Are you going to go back to sleep?"

"I don't think I can."

Captain lays down on my bed and pulls me down beside him. Wrapping his arms around my shoulders, he presses me against him and I breath in his familiar coconut scent as I rest my head on his chest. Slowly, my eyes flicker shut with Cap's breath against my ear, showing me he's here to protect me.

*

No nightmare this time. Gradually my eyelids open to see a line of light burn through the curtains and onto the ceiling. I'm lying on my back, with Captain's arm under my neck and his other hand brushing against my hair.