Chapter 10 - The Frost

Edited 1/2/17
Dedicated to FeltonandPhelps
The funeral was today. Elytra stood in the second row, third to the right, trying her best not to cry. She wasn't allowed to see him, they said she was too young, and it was too bloody, but she put the lilies in a vase and set them by the casket anyway. It was closed. Wanda had walked out crying long ago, and Elytra sat while the preacher talked, kind of zoned out, unknowingly letting a tear slide down her cheek. She had another nightmare last night, and she feel like Cameron's death was too similar to Pietro's, both too young, both had too much to live for. The ice curled around her heart was too cold, almost painfully so, begging to come out, if even just for a second.
Another tear fell into her lap, and froze instantly. A few more did the same. She tapped Steve on the shoulder and asked if she could step out, to which he gave her a small, sad smile, and a nod. Elytra stood, and slowly made her way out, to her room.
The door creaked as she opened it, and stepped in. Elytra looked over to the wall, the mural, to the little name written in beautiful cursive, the artist of the piece. Pietro. She never knew he painted, and she would never see another of his paintings. Elytra took off her black dress, and put on sweatpants and a tank top, before walking to the bathroom, and opening the drawer. The scissors gleamed, ready to be used. She took my hair out of the bun, and grasped the scissors. Her hair was down to her knees now, and there was a trash can in the corner for it to go in. Elytra took time brushing it out, and cut it, bit by bit. Strands of hair fell to the floor, slowly turning into a pile. When she was happy, she set the scissors down, and brushed through it again. It was much shorter, but still long enough to put up. It reached to the middle of her stomach, just below her shoulder blades. Much shorter, much better. Elytra pulled it up into a ponytail and glanced at Tundra snoozing in the corner, before stepping into the hallway, and shutting the door.
The elevators chimed, and the doors slid open. She went over to the shooting range, and put on a belt, sliding small, sharp knives into each slit. Elytra went over to the targets, and grabbed a can of red paint off of a shelf, who knows why that was there. She dipped her fingers into the paint, and drew on each of the dummies' chests.
The symbol was easy, it was like an octopus, but with a skull for a head. Elytra wiped her fingers on her pants, and put the can back on the shelf.
She plucked a knife from her belt, and aimed. Ice grew up from her hand, into a frost-like pattern around the blade. Elytra let the knife fly out of her hand, and it embedded itself into the foam chest, frost spreading around the puncture, hugging the dummy in a death-like grip.
She threw knife after knife, hitting the targets so hard they fell back onto the ground. Elytra was about to throw another one, when a hand caught her wrist. She looked over my shoulder, to see Clint with a stern look on his face. "You need a break. Come get something to eat, please?" Elytra hesitantly nodded, wiped her tear stained cheeks, and placed the belt of knives back onto the table. She grabbed Clint's hand, and they walked into the elevator.
Elytra sat at the table, eating pieces of chicken, while Clint sat on the opposite side, eating a cheeseburger. She saw Bucky grab a muffin off of a tray, and he joined them on her right. "You're freezing up again, Elytra." Clint warned, taking another bite of his meal. She looked down at her arm. Frost was crawling up the side, creating little snowflake patterns on her skin. "It wants out again." She stated, almost too calmly, forking mashed potatoes into her mouth. Bucky looked at her, and there were only two reasons why. "Did you cut your hair?" He asked, playing with a strand of it. "I thought it was a lot longer than this."
"Yeah, it was weighing me down." Elytra scraped the last bits of food off her plate, and put it in the sink. "G'night." She called, and went up to bed.
There was no moon tonight, nothing to brighten her dark room. Tony had got Tundra a massive dog bed, and she could hear his snores. "I swear, all that dragon does is sleep!" She thought. Elytra gazed into the night, humming a song to herself. A few months ago, she would have still been in a cell, probably bleeding. But now, she was dozing off in a comfy bed, with a family protecting her.