Chapter 23 - The Blood

Edited 1/15/17
Dedicated to JessicaCollares
Five days. Elytra had been in that sphere of ice for five days. The Avengers had tried everything to get her out, but not even Thor's hammer could make a dent in the impenetrable ice that held her in its clutches. Steve could just make out the shape of her body through the permafrost, curled up in a ball. Elytra looked so small like that, vulnerable, hurting, scared. She cried for them, Steve saw it from the camera, but the Avengers weren't fast enough to reach her.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Tony looked over from his laptop, at the ice sphere that Elytra was trapped inside. He could just make out her little hand pressed against the glass-like crystal, begging for help. Tony had run over a thousand simulations of how to get her out, but none had been successful. He sighed, once again taking out a tape measure and judging the depth of the ice, and how much pressure would be needed to break it. Reaching over to take a sip of coffee, came to the conclusion that only 23 pounds of pressure would need to be applied, and they had already used over 200, so why in the world wouldn't the egg break?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Elytra woke up with a numbing ice running through her veins, but she couldn't force her eyes to open. Left in the consuming darkness, Elytra attempted to move anything, her legs, her hands, but not even a finger would move. She stopped. The numbing pain was increasing, coursing through her, down to the core. It was pure agony. Elytra tried with all her might to do something, to scream, cry, even bring forth the slightest bit of power to break the ice, but it just became more painful. Elytra was about to give up, when she heard the smallest "crack."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Tony was about to run yet another useless simulation when he heard a tiny, almost unnoticeable, "crack." "CAP!!!" He shouted, almost throwing his laptop down, running over to Elytra. Steve ran through the door, "What!?" He yelled, looking down at the ice. "Oh god."
There was a large crack in the egg, and Steve hesitantly reached a hand over and tapped on it. Large, vivid green eyes stared at them, glowing from underneath the ice. He took a quite step back. "Are you guys seeing this too? Or am I just crazy?" He asked. "Nope, I see it too." Tony replied, taking a closer look at Elytra's shining green eyes. He put a hand against the ice, and a hand popped up beneath it, meeting his.
"Hey Tony, you said you needed me for so-" Bruce walked in the door, before dropping his bag with a "thud." "What. In the world. Is that?" He pointed to the egg, to the hand trying to push through the ice to get to Tony. "That would be Elytra." Steve told him, as Bruce bend down to examine the snow white hand pressing against the blue permafrost. "She did this herself?" He asked, as Elytra's hand moved away from Tony's to meet his. "Yes and no. We let her meet her dad-"
"Who's her dad?" Bruce asked, testing the ice by giving it a punch. It didn't make a dent. "Um, don't let the big guy come out Brucey, but it's, um, Loki?"
"It's Loki!?!" Bruce shouted, causing Elytra's hand to shrink back, and her eyes to close. "No no no, Elytra?" Bruce asked, pressing his hand harder, as she gingerly put her hand back up to his. "Hey, it's okay, it's okay." He was going to keep her hand there for as long as possible while they figured out a way to get her out.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
The ice holding Elytra captive frosted over as she put her hand against Bruce's, fighting her own will to scream. The excruciating pain won, and Elytra shrank back, crying out as Bruce and Tony pounded on the glass, trying to get her attention. Elytra felt the burning travel through her wings, as they began to stretch and grow around her. Her skull burned, and Elytra put a shaking hand up to her forehead, her fingers brushing against two identical bumps on either side. The bumps continued to grow, pushing out of the skin on her head, creating long black horns that came to a sharp point. Elytra held a finger up to her head, wiping the blood surrounding the horns away.
Her hands stained in red, Elytra pushed forcefully against Bruce and Tony's hands, begging them to get her out of hell.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Tony pounded on the ice, as he and Bruce tried to get Elytra's attention. In an instant, two blood red hands pushed against theirs, and both men shrank back. "What the hell is happening to her in there?" Tony shrieked, and the two hands shrank back into the abyss once again.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Elytra put her hands up to her horns, wiping away the blood that threatened to drip into her eyes. She reached back and felt blood seeping out from where the leather of her wings met the skin on her shoulders. Elytra held back a scream, and pushed against the permafrost, reaching for what seemed like forever.
Elytra gave up, as Tony and Bruce did not put their hands up to meet hers that time, and she shrank into the back of her ice prison. "Maybe a punch..." She thought, "..can get me out." Elytra drew back her hand, put all of her strength into her fist, and punched. And the ice split in two.