Chapter 14 - Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

"I am coming with you," Gian said simply and made Max's brain do a back flip to catch up.

"I'm going to my parent's place," he pointed out, not sure if Gian realised what that meant.

"Oui," Gian told him with a smile, "and I look forward to seeing the rest of your family again; it has been too long."

Clearly Gian did know what he was getting into. He'd visited for Thanksgiving once two years ago, so he was well aware of Max and Cal's family.

"Mon Amour," Gian said and gave him a little kiss, "I would not abandon you at a time such as this. This was the final premiere for some months and my agent has been most accommodating with my schedule; I will be by your side."

Max felt a bit teary eyed. He wasn't usually prone to crying, but he seemed to be just a little bit more volatile since his change in status.

It had taken five days after he left the hospital before all the red tape had been cleared up. The powers that be had finally decided that Max was allowed to go home and he was so relieved. He had stuck to his amnesia story and Darius had pulled the right strings, but it had still taken time to get the bureaucracy out of the way.

He was truly grateful for a friend like Darius, who had, frankly, made sure he didn't have to worry about anything except eating, sleeping and answering a few questions. Even with the press for the movie going on, Darius had somehow managed to be in whatever place he was needed; Max was more than simply impressed.

With the media hanging around the whole time and Max not really wanting to have anything to do with Moscow for a while at least, he and Cal had remained in the hotel and Gian had been there when he wasn't doing press.

Max wasn't sure what he had expected from the new relationship and had just accepted the comfort for what it was. Gian had taken great pleasure in teaching him that he could indeed have sex without defaulting to biting his partner, and they were definitely closer than ever. Other than that, though, there had been nothing concrete.

He had noticed Gian's pet name for him change from 'Mon Ami' to 'Mon Amour', but he hadn't expected Gian to drop everything to accompany him back to the States.

"I don't think I deserve you," he said.

He threw his arms around Gian, because it seemed like the right thing to do and he clung on for a bit. Gian being Gian of course hugged back and they stayed that way for quite a while until there was a knock on the door. He rather liked the fact that Gian was bigger than him and gave the most amazing, all encompassing hugs.

"Max," he heard Cal call, "are you ready; the car's here?"

He didn't really want to let go. He definitely didn't want to brave the press and go out in public where he would have to put on a mask and not cling to Gian like a lifeline, but he could be practical when he had to be.

"Let's go," he said, pulling back, but linking his fingers into Gian's.

He'd have to give up that eventually as well, but he wasn't letting go until he actually had to. They had to get to the airport for security checks and everything, so there was no time to delay. He just hoped they were all together on the plane or he was probably going to end up causing a scene.

* * *

The first person Max caught sight of at the airport was his dad, Karl, or rather his step-dad. Since their real father had run out on the family when Max and Cal were six and they had barely seen him since, Max thought of Karl as much more his father than the man who had abandoned them. Karl had even been his coach in the early part of his gymnastics career.