E L E V E N

"Daisy!" My mom bursts into my cold room grinning from ear to ear. Looking up from my homework I try not to glance at Death. Lounging across my bed, Death arches a brow at my redheaded mother, an amused expression on her pale face. My mom actually in my room? She never steps foot in Death's and I's freezing room. Whatever is her reason must be good.

"There are some strapping young men asking for you downstairs." My mom claps enthusiastically. She's excited not because the opposite sex is taking an interest in me, but because possible friends who I will have to converse with are outside. I fight to keep my face blank, but my heart rams up into my throat.

Elijah and Finn are here to take me god knows where (they won't tell me), to be sworn to secrecy before every fanged werewolf not only in town, but the county. I'd much rather take a hoard of ghosts, at least they can't maul you.

"Should I invite them in? Do either of them have any allegories? Should I serve healthy snacks or chips?" My mom happily rants. She's ecstatic. I hadn't had friends ever since, well ever, if you don't count Death. I hate to burst her bubble, but she won't be entertaining.

"Mom," my unused voice is barely audible. Death, who is invisible watches on, her red painted lips turning into a smirk. Death finds my mom adorable and hilarious.

"Hmm?" My mom hums.

"...Sorry, but they're not coming in. We're going... out." My quiet voice is so hushed I wonder if she heard me at all. Mom's face falls, but quickly reforms into another smile, twice as big.

"You're going out? With friends?" She practically sings. Well, not exactly going out. I'm being dragged away to a ceremony I don't want to participate in. But I don't have the heart to tell my mom otherwise.

"Don't keep them waiting, Daisy!" She eagerly exclaims. With my mom out of the room I finally turn to Death, struggling to control the lines of my face to be still. I'm scared. I'm very scared. As if I'm looking down a steep cliff that I'm forced to jump off, and I can't see the bottom. But I'm not going to admit it.

"Don't listen to your mom. Always keep a boy waiting." Death jokes, trying to lighten the mood. Too frighten to find the joke funny I just frown down at my shoes.

"Scared?" Answering Death's question I nod, a bit quicker than I intended. I have this bad urge to hide under my bed.

"Believe it or not, but it's okay to be scared. Whoever said it's not good to feel fear was a dick. Daisy, let in the fear. It's proof you're alive, because to be afraid of the unknown means that you're living through new ventures. But don't let it have a say in your life. So, go out there, and show those werewolves how strong you are!" Death's words shakes me up. It feels like my heart is softening from all of Death's heartfelt emotions.

Taking a deep breath I straighten up, and take steady steps down to the front door. Cautiously opening the door I'm glad to see that it's Elijah, and disappointed to see Finn, instead of a pack of wild wolves. Elijah politely beckons me forward, while Finn glares in my direction. Both are dressed from head to toe in gray; gray turtlenecks, exact shade matching pants, with neatly combed back hair. Gesturing to their matching outfits, then to my ordinary dressed self, I silently question if I missed a dress code.

"The color of comprise." Finn harshly explains as if the answer is the most obvious thing in the world. Finn's abrasiveness stings more than it should, it worsens my nerves, flare up my insecurities, making me want hide back inside. Knotting my arms around myself, I try to focus on evening my breathing, but I can't seem to calm down. Failing to gather composer just makes it harder to rein in my emotions.

"Remember, you have to be on your best behavior." Elijah warns Finn. With an annoyed sigh, Finn angrily kicks at the ground, but nods.

"You're nervous." Elijah throws me a sympathetic expression. I feel my mouth form a question, how on the tip of my tongue. I'm emotionless as always. What's the give away?