Bert, The Teddy Bear

The automatic glass doors opened as I walked into the supermarket behind an old lady with a walking stick. I quickly dodged round her, picking up a basket before scuffing down the vegetable aisle. I bypassed all of the different coloured healthy foods and narrowed my aim on an aisle I reluctantly had to visit.

I huffed, frowning as I peered up at the cat food on the top shelf. Shaking my head I wondered why they had to stack it out of my reach. It wasn’t even my bloody cat, it belonged to one of my flatmates. I was unwillingly nominated this week to buy it’s food. Grace had refused to get it for the same reasons I used last week. Mainly the fact that she didn’t want to look like a crazy cat lady. Which now I inevitably did. I bent my knees, jumping up. My fingers grazed a couple of the cans, knocking them off balance. I stepped back as they fell to the floor. Quickly picking them up I placed the food into my basket before making a speedy exit from the pet section.

Oh, this just wasn’t my day. Once again I stood staring up at the furthest shelf from my reach. I was now in a more familiar area of the supermarket, the chocolate aisle. I looked longingly up at the largest jar of Nutella. Setting the basket down on the floor, I placed my right foot on the bottom shelf, gripping onto middle ones with my fingers. Even with my new found height I still wasn’t able to reach the jar, it was one of the last ones on the shelf, pushed to the back. I swiftly turned my head upon hearing a deep chuckle.

“Let me get that for you.” He spoke in a husky voice.

I stepped down allowing him to lean up and retrieve the object I was fighting for. His towering height made it look easy, he grinned handing me the jar. My breath seemed to hitch in my throat; he was the cutest guy I had ever seen. Big green eyes sparkled at me, his dark curly hair poking out from underneath his grey beanie. I nearly melted inside as I noticed prominent dimples indented in his cheeks.

“Thank you.” I spoke quietly.

“You’re very welcome.” He replied, still with a smile on his face.

I inwardly cursed whilst mentally face palming myself. This meeting couldn’t have come at a worse time. Not only did I have my lonely largest-jar-of-Nutella-look going on. But I also emitted crazy cat lady vibe.

“You have a cat?” he questioned.

“Umm, it’s not mine, it’s my flatmate’s.”

He smiled down at me.

“I’m Harry.” He held out his hand for me to shake.

“Teddy.” I accepted his gesture, placing my smaller hand in his.

His touch was warm, which contrasted to the rough feel of his fingertips.

“Like the bear.” He chuckled.

I nodded silently.

“That’s cute.”

I blushed at his comment. My hand slipped from his lingering hold down to my side.

“D-do you think I could get your number?” He asked less confidently.

I paused, not really understanding why he would want it. I mean, he had seen me with my Nutella and cat food; the items in my basket should have scared him off. But still he looked at me expectantly.

“Oh, erm, yeah of course.” I stuttered.

He dug around in the back of his jean’s pocket before pulling out his phone. My fingers accidently grazed his as I took it from his grasp. I fumbled for mine, quickly handing it to him. We stood for a few seconds typing in our numbers. He had finished before me; I glanced back up to see him smiling down at me. I blushed slightly as I handed his phone back.