Demon: Aden+Titus

(Happens between Hell's Angel and Midfield Academy)

Aden+Titus

First Anniversary

I slipped down to River's old cave and crawled inside. Hidden in the very back was a basket filled with different fancy human foods that Titus's liked. I dragged it out and dusted off my clothes. My mom had helped me find the items and get it here without my mate finding out. I hurried back to the room with a smile on my face.

Peeking through the curtain, I didn't see my husband. I entered and was happy to find I had some extra time. After putting the basket on the desk, I changed into something nicer and straightened up the room a little. I sat in one of the armchairs and began the wait. Running my hands up and down my legs, I tried to keep my excitement under control.

Deep voices sounded down the hall. Titus's laugh rang out among them. I sat up straight. The curtains parted, and my mate said something to the people outside. I sprang up from my seat and ran over to him. Titus turned right as I threw my arms around the black werewolf's waist.

"Happy anniversary!"

Titus hugged me back. "I guess that is today. One whole year." He leaned down and kissed my cheek. "Happy anniversary."

Beaming, I retrieved my present. "My mom helped me make this for you. She put in a card from her and my dad too."

My mate took it and looked really confused as well as frightened.

My spirits dropped. "You don't like it?"

"No," he rubbed the back of his head. "I just feel like I'm missing some really important human thing."

I swallowed hard. "You don't celebrate anniversaries, do you?"

Titus clutched the basket. "We mate for life, so yeah... we don't really do this kind of thing. I mean most werewolves don't even have a formal wedding like we did. It's just my alpha says yes, yours said yes, so yeah, let's mate," he laughed hesitantly.

"Oh." I nodded trying to play off how embarrassing this whole situation was for both of us. I should have asked Storm or Rose about it before getting him a gift.

He tapped his finger on the basket. "This is important to human, though?"

I shrugged. "More so to some than others. I... I just thought it would be fun. Sorry, I should have asked, but then again, I wanted it to be a surprise. Don't worry about it. It's just another stupid quirk we humans have with wanting to celebrate everything." I forced a smile, though, I was feeling pretty crushed on the inside.

Titus nodded. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I took the basket from him. "I should have known," I tried to say in a teasing tone. "You don't even celebrate birthdays. Hell, you don't have any holidays at all." I bowed my head and clutched the basket to my chest.

Titus let out a sigh. "That's werewolves for you." He slipped an arm around me. "Thanks for the thought."

I nodded.

"I'm going fishing with Darius and Rupert. Would you like to come?"

I shook my head, trying to hide the burning in my eyes. "Catching things with my mouth is a little too much for me. We can eat this later." I took a deep breath and forced any sign of emotion back.

"Sounds like a plan. I'll try not to be too late."

I turned to him and quickly kissed his cheek. "Have fun."