Chapter Thirty-Two: Happy New Year!

Amara

I felt very distant, Dominic had been distant too for the last three days. After our talk it had been fine but that was probably because it hadn't set in yet but now he was a lot more quiet. He was thinking about something, I was thinking too so it was good. We were thinking.

I turned to look in the full length mirror, I felt like this dress wasn't as good as the one I wore at Christmas but it was too late to get another one - the event was tonight. I twitched my nose before shrugging. It wasn't half bad, it was sparkly but not ratchet and it wasn't short so I guess I was ticking all the right boxes. 

I unzipped it, unhooked the straps and let it fall, tonight would be another open night and I couldn't wait for it to be over

I unzipped it, unhooked the straps and let it fall, tonight would be another open night and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Open nights had proven to be not-at-all what people told you they were, I was under the impression there was no fighting. This time I was not going to be a relaxed. This entire thing was stress all the way, I couldn't possibly understand Donna's enjoyment in it.

I sighed pulling on track pants and a singlet. I didn't bother with a bra, I wasn't leaving this room. 

I walked past the coffee table grabbing the Italian language book, I'd learnt quite a few things over the last few months. I always read this in my spare time, and now I had a whole day to sit and read it as much as I desired.

I sat on the armchair in comfort before the door opened, "You're lazy." Claire walked in. I guess reading wasn't happening after all.

"How so?" I replied bookmarking my page and setting the book down, she eyed it a little before ignoring it completely.

"We have to do something while we wait for time to waste away!" she was acting as if I wasn't already doing something before she walked in here, I narrowed my eyes at her. She looked to the side sighing and flipping onto her back, obviously the only things worth doing around here were decided by Claire.

"What do you want to do your highness?" I joked.

She rubbed her chin, "I want to..."

--

We'd done everything humanly possible, she made me wear a bra and took me outside to sun bake. She made me watch a couple of her favourite movies, introduced me to teen magazines and complained endlessly about her lack in media allowance. The magazines were apparently old issues, the movies were all bought and she didn't have a laptop. Even living in a billion dollar structure with people that did her every bidding and pretty much being the most influential person aside from her mother - she still found things to complain about.

I found her fascinating and watched her continue to go about her day. That entertained me enough. She even shared her dreams of buying horses and putting them somewhere around here.

She looked at the clock on the wall, "Looks like its that time again." 

I groaned. We had to get the beauty stuff out of the way and then fit our butts into our dresses again. The only fun part about these events was honestly the food and the shopping. Everything else lacked relevance in my eyes.