1

He saw her on the highway with her thumb pointing to the sky, her untamed, fire engine red hair clashing against the green trees lining the road. Her bright turquoise eyes simmering in the sun, twinkling with mischief. His mother always had told him never to pick up hitchhikers, but there was something about her. The way her matted hair somehow looked perfectly kept. The way that by just driving up to her, you could tell she was one for adventure. The way her smirk showed she knew he was going to stop for her, and that's exactly what he did. She skipped toward the car and swung the passenger door open.

"Hey, the name's Faryn," she introduced, her smile making him feel like someone had placed a boulder on his chest.

"A-a-Andy," he stuttered, still trying to catch his breath. Even just sitting beside her, Faryn radiated with beauty, and he couldn't stop staring at her stupidly.

"Nice to meet you, Andy. Let's travel across the state," she exclaimed casually, as if it was nothing. Still trying to compose himself, he felt again as if the wind had been knocked out of him.

"Did you...did you say...the state?" Having picked her up just outside the city of San Diego, he assumed she had only needed a quick lift into the city, but across the state?

"Yes, I live in Crescent City, just at the other end of California. It won't take that long, and it will be fun!"

This Faryn girl is insane, he thought to himself, but she had this look on her face. This look of desire to explore, a craving for an adrenaline rush, and he got the feeling this wasn't her first time going on a spontaneous adventure with a complete stranger who picked her up on the Interstate 5. Her brilliant eyes were determined, almost staring straight through Andy's soul. Looking at her, he felt as if she could see all his deepest secrets, his biggest regrets, he felt totally exposed. Exposed, yet trusting, He felt he had known this stunning maniac his whole life, and he had been the one to tell her all his deepest secrets and biggest regrets.

"Um..." he started, not able to get the words out, feeling extremely vulnerable yet quite familiar with this woman. He knew he shouldn't. He had a job, meetings, even a first date with this girl his friend set him up with, but all he would think about for the rest of his life is how he would have let her go. Any girl he had ever seen, and every girl he would ever see would never be as high above him as she was. And, she was already in the car, right?

"Oh, c'mon! Please?" she begged, her puppy dog eyes having quite an effect on him. She was unquestionably stubborn, and continued to beg him to take her home, like a kid pleading to go to the park. It would only be just one day...

"Ok fine," he sighs, trying to sound defeated, but his heart was racing one million miles per hour.

"Yes!" she squealed, giddy with excitement, and the adventure began.