The Note

Jackson POV 

It was easier to wake up alone when I was on the run with my sister's pack. I knew Sadie was alright and that eventually I would once again be waking up beside her, now I wasn't so sure. According to the rest of the pack, Sadie was dead. Her whole family was already mourning the loss of her, but I refused. I could still think straight, although I was on edge with worry, and I could still feel her. It wasn't as strong as it was when she was near me, but something inside me told me that she was still alive.  

The Luna was so worried about me and my inevitable demise, that she refused to let me keep Ember for the night. She lied and said that it was so that I could get the rest that I need, but I knew what she was thinking. I didn't hold it against her, she thought that Sadie was dead and we all knew what happened to a wolf once they lost their mates.  

After I had my mental breakdown in front of most of the pack, I pulled myself together. We called the fire department and once they got the fire out, I went in. I dug through the remains of the house, burning my hands and feet, until the early hours of the morning. I didn't find anything that could have started such a fire. There were no random rocks, bricks, or anything else that would have been big enough to break the front window. I dug through everything and found nothing that gave me the slightest idea of what might have happened, and thankfully I didn't find any human remains either.  

I rejoiced at the fact that I couldn't find any sign of Sadie, but Ethan tried to convince me that there wouldn't be any since the fire burnt so hot. I was angry with him at first, but he stayed with me and sifted through the house regardless of what he thought had happened. I understood where he was coming from, he thought that my mate had died and that I was already going crazy, refusing to acknowledge her death, but that wasn't the case. I wasn't crazy and Sadie wasn't dead, but I still didn't know where the hell she could be. It wasn't like I could sniff out her scent, because she didn't have one, once again reminding me how much I hated the part of her that was hunter.  

Speaking of hunters, I figured that they were the culprits. They never give up and they don't care who they hurt. Andy, who also helped us search through the house, agreed completely with me. I didn't bring up anything about him and Sadie, but began to believe more and more that he was obsessed with her by the way he spoke. He was furious with me that I didn't go straight for Sadie, regardless of if I was holding my child.  

He wasn't thinking straight, the only thing he would talk about was Sadie and how I had messed up. He seemed determined about something, but I didn't know what. They whole night he mumbled to himself while holding a scowl on his face. He shot me dirty looks and threw burnt pieces of house dangerously close to me. I didn't have the energy in me to put him in his place, more so I was happy to have extra eyes and hands to help me dig for clues. My selfish side won over and I just ignored his behavior the best I could.  

We had finished going through the remains around the same time that the sun began to rise. I left felling relieved, Ethan left thinking that I had lost my mind, and Andy left wishing death upon me. I knew that the moment I found Sadie, I would definitely put an end to whatever friendship she had with Andy. She may not have been able to see how head over heels he was for her, but I sure as hell did. I would continue to use his help, like the ass that I am, until we find her and then I will kick the shit out of him for even looking at her for too long.  

I rolled out of my bed and groaned. I hadn't even bothered to shower the night before, or I guess earlier that morning, and my bed was covered in block soot. I was certain that if I were to look in anything that had a reflection that I would cringe at myself. Even though I knew that Sadie was alive, my wolf was already mourning, making it extremely difficult for me to give a shit about anything. I think that I was only able to overcome his depression because I was so set on finding Sadie, if it weren't for that, I would be just as low as he was. I couldn't allow that to happen though. Sadie could be in serious danger and if I were to roll over and cry like a little bitch, she could die waiting. I would not allow that to happen.