2 - Not Just Another Day

November 19, Friday

   The party at Cathy's house is tonight. Hopefully, I'll able to avoid drinking a lot of alcohol without anyone noticing. Just in case I am pregnant, I want to be careful.

   But I'm not. I can't be.

   I sigh, placing my head in my hands, blankly staring down at the AP Gov text book. We were supposed to be taking notes on- well, I'm not even sure what. I can't focus on anything right now.

"Psst, Jen." Ellie nudges me. She opens her mouth to say something, but stops. Her eyes widen as she scans my blank paper. "You haven't- here, just copy mine."

I take her paper and hastily copy everything down, still unsure of what subject we're covering now.

   The bell rings and Ellie and I rush out of AP American Gov, screaming "Bye!" to Mr. Fisher. I practically throw Ellie's paper back at her.

"You copied everything?" Ellie inquires, to which I nod.

"Good. Do you think-"

"I don't want to talk about it here. Let's go find Lauren." I snap. I hate it when I do that. I really can't risk having other people suspecting anything.

We shuffle along amongst the crowds of students, fighting our way towards Lauren's third period class.

"JAY! EL! OVER HERE!" Lauren's head somehow manages to pop up above the crowd, which is only a little shocking, because what she lacks in height is made up in her Napoleon complex.

Ellie drags me through clumps of students in order to get us near Lauren. She doesn't usually push people, but I manage to get a glimpse at a clock inside a classroom as we rush by. Passing is half over. We're going to be late to class.

"Jesus, where were you guys?" Lauren grumbles, slightly irked. "Mr. Lerner practically kicked me out of the classroom. Anyways, we've got to run now. I can't believe I wore high heels today, of all days."

   "Hey, Jenna. Did you hear that? We're Jesus!" I scream. Ellie and I whoop, earning an eye roll from Lauren, and run through the hallways that are much emptier now than they were before.

   The combination of the warning bell and an almost completely empty hallway is scarier than dropping your TI-84 right before a math test. Or just dropping your TI-84 in general.

   Lauren, Ellie, and I practically fall into the locker room, just as one of the gym teachers is about to close the door.

"Teenagers." She mutters to herself, shaking her head.

"Oh those darn teenagers, running around and involved in all sorts of shenanigans. Tut tut." Lauren mocks as we open our gym lockers. The girls nearby smile in amusement.

   "What a bitch," Lauren adds. "Like, I bet you that she was some kind of hoe-"

   "Oh look!" I shout, cutting her off. "It's Tori, Teagan, and Rochelle!" I grab Lauren and Ellie and drag them out of the locker room after the three other girls.

   "Hey guys." Teagan and Rochelle greet us as Tori sulks off to the side of the group. The six of us head out to run the track with the rest of our gym class.