4 - Everybody Knows It's Party Time

Friday, November 19, 4:32pm

I pull my red 2014 Hyundai Tuscan into an empty parking spot in the Starbucks parking lot. Some of my friends had decided to meet up at Starbucks before we get ready for Cathy's party.

I sigh as I change the gear to park and shut off the car. I can't do this. I can't walk in there and put up an illusion like I'm fine, like I'm not seventeen and pregnant.

At least I'm not the stereotypical sixteen and pregnant. God, I actually wish that I didn't make fun of those tv shows about the pregnant teens. If I had paid more attention instead, I probably could have learned a thing or two.

I could see the back of both Lauren and Summer's heads and I was pretty sure that I could see Ellie as well. I pulled down the visor of the car to shield my eyes from the sun. I rummaged around in my purse as if I was looking for something. If I can see them, they can probably see me and I need to have a plan of attack before I go in. The last thing I want is the Spanish Inquisition about Jenna's wellbeing.

Okay, so if people ask, I'll say that I saw Marlowe, which is true. She told me that I had food poisoning, which'll explain the throwing up. Oh, also I should say that she thinks that I'll be okay now. My dad cooked dinner last night, which is also true. It's kinda hard to believe that one person can be so bad at cooking and not realize it. And I'm definitely not pregnant. Not that anyone will ask.

That should be good enough. I'll probably end up telling Ellie what really happened later, though. Having been best friends for years, I'm 100 percent certain that I can trust her.

I sigh, not sure why I still feel kind of down. Um, maybe this can be my big 'last night of freedom' or whatever it is that they tell people before they get married. This will just be my last night of freedom, and then I'll worry about the- um, thing.

I grab my purse and exit my car, locking it with a little beep from the clicker. I'm as ready as I'll ever be to go in. Plus, if I sat there for much longer, it would only be a matter of time before my friends started to call me.

As soon as I open the door of the popular coffee shop which was surprisingly empty, Ellie jumps up and starts motioning to join her. I stifle a giggle as the few other patrons roll their eyes.

I walk up to the counter and place an order for a green tea frap before joining my friends. As crazy as they are, I still love them, but let's be real. A girl needs her coffee.

I greet Lauren, Ellie, Summer and Cathy with hugs and exchange hellos with Mike (Cathy's boyfriend), and Travis, before sitting on my boyfriend Jeremy's lap.

I give Jeremy a quick peck of the lips and lean into his chest as the others return to their conversation. Jeremy and I have been dating for a little over two years in total now, not including the one or two on/off periods we've had.

"Um, I hate to interrupt the conversation, but we need another designated driver for tonight." Cathy mentions. She thinks a designated driver is someone who acts as a drunk shuttle service during and after a party. She set up shifts and everything. Cathy glances around, hoping that someone will volunteer.

I should do it. Sure, I'll have to ferry around people who are drunk off of their asses all night, but this was supposed to be my last night of freedom. I definitely won't be able to drink. Is that one of the things you can't do while pregnant? I have no idea... I really want to google it, but that would be kind of weird right now. So for now, let's just say that it's okay to have a little bit. No one will suspect the pregnancy because I'll either be acting like a normal teenager or driving. Well, if they even suspect it in the first place. Does anyone suspect anything? Since when did I become so paranoid?