Chapter 3 - Reveal

Saturday 31st October 1992

Time seemed to melt away as Becca danced. In all her seventeen years, eleven months and twenty-eight days, she'd never felt so totally and utterly free. At that moment in time, gone was her grief, gone was her life of restriction, with its incessant rules, structure and moderation in all things, and gone was her uncle. Feeling almost weightless, she wouldn't have been surprised if she'd floated up off the dirt floor.

Thirsty and a little out of breath, Becca left Ben and the others on the dance floor and headed for the make-shift bar which was aligned along the rear wall of the barn. Two people tended the bar- a gum-chewing girl in a tight, neon-pink jumpsuit wearing cat's ears and whiskers, and a rather all-too realistic-looking Pennywise, the clown. Becca joined the queue and waited a while until the girl came over to her.

"Yeah?"

"A bottle of water, please."

The girl nodded and took a bottle from an old tin bath that was filled with ice. "Five quid."

Becca's eyes opened wide. "Five pounds, for a bottle of water!"

"Err, yeah!" The girl held out her hand while Becca fumbled in the rear pocket of her kilt.

"It's okay, I've got this."

Becca looked up to see a man handing over a £5 note.

"Thanks, but you didn't have to, I've ..."

"My pleasure."

"Thank you." Becca opened the bottle and downed it in one. The cool liquid made her shiver.

"Thirsty, I see," asked the man who was still standing next to her at the bar.

"Yes," she panted, "It's so hot in here."

"Hot as hell."

Becca laughed and fanned herself, "probably".

"Hey love, want to come and get all sweaty with me."

Becca jumped as she felt a hand caress her arm. She turned to see someone who almost resembled her old French teacher-only older and even less attractive, if that was possible- who was leering at her. Soaked in sweat, he pushed his hands through his wringing wet hair and droplets flicked onto Becca's face. She cringed. "No, thanks." She took a step away from him.

"Don't know what you're missing love. There's still plenty of energy in these batteries". He took a step closer towards her and leaned in for a kiss.

Becca put her hand up to stop him getting any closer. "I said no thank you. My... err... boyfriend is..." Panicking, she looked around, hoping Ben or Josh were near, but the only person familiar to her was the man who'd just bought her the water, who was now also staring intently at her, wearing a slightly shocked expression on his face. For a second, he remained utterly motionless, but then as if awoken abruptly from deep slumber, he surged forward.

"And that boyfriend is standing right here. I suggest you clear off, mate."

The sweaty man looked the water-guy up and down and grinned. "What's your problem?"

"No problem, mate, you just need to move away from here."

"I'll stand where the hell I want and I'll speak to whoever the hell I want," the sweaty man drawled, his eyes rolling. "And there's nothing you can do about it." He lurched forward and raised his right arm, taking a swing with his clenched right fist. The water-guy ducked to one side and the sweaty man stumbled forward having missed his target. With a roar, he went in for a second attempt.