Chapter 14- Treasure

Friday, 6th November, 1992- Ash

Ash leaned back, looking at the recess in the cave wall; fourteen soul spheres glistened before him. The swirling energy inside strained against the round glass-like walls of its confinement. It yearned to reach the weak light given off by the single, burning torch mounted on the opposite wall. If this had been a Hollywood movie, Ash would have lit a cigarette, and then exhaled the smoke in a reedy stream, like a sated lothario.

Fourteen. Had he not expended so much of his own energy in their collection, he would have had at least fifteen spheres to admire. Taking possession of the woman, and controlling the actions of her rebellious infant simultaneously, had been utterly draining. Gammick's assistance in controlling the old woman had been necessary but regrettable, for he too, had required payment in the form of an energy hit.

This haul of spheres was good but Ash needed more, a lot more. A significant blast of energy, this size, might be enough to take out one of the Seven, but nowhere near enough to fend off the other six when they felt the loss of one of their own. They might have spent most of eternity hating and conspiring against each other, but the Seven still shared a bond like no-other and would unite work together if they feared their shared, lofty status might be at risk.

Ash stretched out in his Louis XV chair. Like many of the treasures that surrounded him, the cave was not the most aesthetically pleasing setting for them, but it was at least secure. Only one other being had known of the cave's existence, but he banished those thoughts, and distracted himself by admiring the quality of craftsmanship of the chair. The lack of natural light meant that the dyes in the ornate fabric were as rich as the day he'd liberated the French king's favourite chair, from the Palace of Versailles. In a long and pained existence, Ash took his pleasures where he could. He surveyed the countless other prized objects around him. Each one more valuable than the next, yet the real items of value, pulsed away in the corner. He felt more powerful merely being close to them.

The sound of shuffling sand and scratches against stone became audible, as something large both slid and crawled towards him. Ash turned and spied the creature; its huge head reared up and its white eyes looked warily at Ash.

"Where have you been? Did I not explain to you that under no circumstances should you leave this cave?"

It scratched at the floor, and then gave a low, cawing sound of apology, citing hunger as an excuse.

"Now, more than ever, you are to remain vigilant."

The creature turned its head and looked over at the spheres. Its large, flat tongue flicked in and out quickly as it tasted the air around. Drool dribbled down the side of its mouth.

"Don't be getting any ideas," Ash warned.

The creature snarled its response and moved slowly towards the spheres, encircling them with until they were no longer visible, except for the incandescent glow that emanated from the gaps around its curled body.

"I'll be back soon."

"Gammick, I'll be spending the next few hours at the police station. Try and ..." He stopped in the doorway. "Oh!"

"Ashmadalak, you haven't been making a public nuisance of yourself again, I hope?"

Lucifer was sitting in the middle of the sofa, the girl, Lauren, seated at his feet, her head resting on his knee, a smile of sheer bliss spread across her face. Gammick was typically AWOL.

"I've become acquainted with your most recent ... pet, or whatever she is that has you still inhabiting this dwelling. She's been most attentive. Shame the same can't be said for you."