Chapter 22- Bye

Wednesday 11th  November

"Pull over, I'm going to be sick."

"Do not pull over this car," Ash ordered.

Ben ignored the demon and swerved the car onto the hard shoulder, stopping abruptly. John leaned behind him, pulled at the handle and pushed open the door. Becca lurched out of the car and promptly emptied the contents of her stomach onto the asphalt with a splash. Ben was next out of the car, leaving the engine still running. He grabbed hold of her to stop her falling, pulling her hair back, off her face. She spewed again until all she was left weak and dry heaving.

"Get her back in the car," shouted Ash. "We need to keep moving," he warned, his eyes searching out into the night. Rain drops fell heavily, illuminated by the beams of the car's headlights.

"She isn't ready, just give her a minute."

"She doesn't have a bloody minute, get it?"

Ben turned back at Ash. "I don't get any of this."

"Rebecca, we do need to go. You must get back in to the car." John was leaning out of the car door.

"Please, just give me a minute," she pleaded, her voice sore and cracked. "Ben, I need air."

Ben let go of her hair and placed his arm around her shoulders. "Okay, let's walk a little."

She could hear Ash cursing in response, while John tried to remonstrate with him.

"What is happening, Ben?" She barely remembered a thing, having been comfortable cocooned in unconsciousness for most of their journey.

He shrugged. "I don't know."

"Where are we?"

"South. Just off the M25, heading towards Kent."

"Kent! How long have I been out of it?" She tried thinking back to the last thing she remembered, but nothing concrete would form in her mind. She remembered heat, light and dark.

"A couple of hours."

"Where are we going?"

"No idea. They've barely uttered two words and have ignored all of my questions so far. All I've been told is that they have to get you to safety."

Safety. Since when had travelling with a demon ever been considered safe?

"I am not getting back in that car with ... him."

"Listen, I have no idea who or what he is, but I have known your uncle for a long time. I might not like him, but I do trust him. If he thinks you are in danger, we should probably believe him."

"I am not getting back in that car." Becca pulled away from Ben, taking several steps back.

"Hurry, please," John called to them.

"No." Little by little her nausea abated and she felt some strength returning.

"Becca, " John pleaded.

He had never called her that before. Never shortened her name and he had never called to her in a tone like that. She shivered. "No," she repeated and took two more steps back. The air was frigid, her breaths, fast and shallow. Her hair now hung limply, her clothes soaking.

"Get in the car." Ash appeared from out of nowhere, making both of them jump.

"Stay away from me."

The demon rolled his eyes. "Stubborn just like your mother."

Becca surged forward. "Don't you mention her, don't you dare."